ChefJeff

Cooking technique question.

Greetings friends,

I was undecided whether to post the following recipe here, or within the dedicated recipe section. I opted for KOmodo General, because my question pertains to technique. I'm guessing that within 10 days, "Cinders" will be in our backyard, and I'm getting excited about my future cooks. The following recipe was in yesterdays Los Angeles Times newspaper, and I'm already thinking KOMODO! I would really dig hearing what you experienced cooks think of indirect cooks, versus direct. The following recipe calls for indirect cooking, but my thinking is this: If one cooks in an environment where the cover is closed, and a steady temp is maintained, why should it matter if the food is directly over the lump? I would think that the juices would hit the lump and vaporize to flavor the food. On the other hand, maybe this might cause flaming, and screwing up the maintained temperature. In any event, if someone wants to share views of when indirect cooks are better, I'm a listenin'

Thanks for your help

Jeff, a.k.a. "Cindersfella"

P.S.

The recipe says "4 to 6" servings. Hah! More like 2 to me :)

Tuscan grilled chicken

June 25, 2008

Tuscan grilled chicken

Total time: 40 minutes, plus marinating time

Servings: 4 to 6

2 cloves garlic

1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon fennel seed

1/4 cup olive oil

1 (4- to 4 1/2 -pound) chicken

Oil for brushing

1. With a mortar and pestle or in a blender, grind the garlic, rosemary, salt and fennel seed. Continue grinding while adding the olive oil to make a coarse paste.

2. Using a pair of poultry shears or a chef's knife, cut the chicken alongside the backbone, all the way from neck to stern. Repeat on the other side of the backbone, removing it from the carcass.

3. Place the chicken skin-side up on the cutting board, opened out like a book. Firmly press down on the center of the breast to crack the sternum and flatten the chicken. Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag and spoon in the herb mixture. Press out all the air, seal tightly and massage to distribute the marinade evenly. Refrigerate overnight or leave at room temperature for 1 hour.

4. Wrap a 1-foot-square paving stone in aluminum foil. Start the coals in a chimney and when they are lightly coated with gray ash, about 20 minutes, empty them into the grill, arranging them in a gentle slope against one side. Replace the grill rack and brush it with oil.

5. Place the chicken skin-side down on the grill rack, away from the direct heat but with the drumsticks pointing toward the fire. Brush one side of the foil-covered brick with oil and place the brick on top of the chicken.

6. Grill until the skin is well-browned, about 20 minutes. Remove the brick and turn the chicken over, placing it skin-side up directly over the fire. Cook until the juices at the hip and knee joints run clear when pierced with a knife, about 5 minutes. Remove to a carving board and let rest 5 minutes to distribute the juices evenly before carving. Serve immediately.

Each serving: 389 calories; 42 grams protein; 0 carbohydrate; 0 fiber; 23 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 168 mg. cholesterol; 171 mg. sodium.

CheffJeff, Tough question to put an answer in a nutshell; but I'll try.

For me here's my basic approach.

Burgers, Brats, Steak, dogs, and sometimes chicken parts - no deflector.

Everything else - Pork Butt, Brisket, Beef Roast, Tri-tip, whole chicken, ribs, tenderloin, whole turkey, cast iron dutch ovens, all go in with heat deflector.

Looks like a good recipe to try.

I have tried direct and indirect while cooking a whole chicken in the rotisserie. What I have found is as long as my temps are maintained, the meat is cooked the same. However the skin would get more carmelization using direct vs indirect due to the sugars in the marinade. My problem with using direct was all the chicken grease dripping onto the coals really kicked up a thick smoke which you could taste in the chicken. I compromised by taking a small foil loaf pan and placing it under the chicken. I sat it on top of a brick that was in the bottom of the firebox and surrounded it with lump. Fire burned very evenly, drippings went into the pan and there was still enough direct heat to get the skin the way I like it. Here is the post of that cook http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2439. If you try it, let me know how it comes out.

I dont have a rotis, but I have done chicken both direct and indirect.

When i do it direct, I do so on the upper grill up near the top of the dome. This keeps the direct temps diffused enough not to burn up the bottom. If you do direct on the main grill you have to be careful that the bottom doesnt char.

I typically butterfly the bird before grilling it, which shortens the cooking time, and keeps things moist. I flip half way through as well - just about the way the recipe above says (oonly without the brick). If you didnt flip, the bottom will be much darker. I do get some smoke, but not the thick sooty smoke that will foul the taste of the bird. More of the "oh my God that smells good" kind. Give the recipe a try, you will have a winner.

The good news is that chicken is relatively inexpensive, so you can try it both ways and let us know what you decide :D

Yep' date=' I screwed up.[/quote']

Hehe, I will let you live this time.

BTW, did I miss the recipe giving a temp? That would help me make a decision on direct verses indirect. Do you have an old pizza pan you can scrap? I found that it makes a OK replacement for the diffuser stone I made. Gives you the best of both worlds...diffuses the heat for even cooking yet lets enough heat through for more crispy skin.

I would also put any marinade or rub under the skin. Then rub the skin with olive oil. That gives the most consistent crispy skin. Any spices left on the outside of the skin tend to leave darker areas or burn.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks Firemonkey and Jasen,

Cooking on the upper grill sounds like a plan to me. Jasen, regarding the recipe from the Times---no temp was given.

Has anyone ever come up with a conclusive temperature calculation on the various cooking levels, as opposed to what the reading is at the height of the thermometer probe?-------Yep, the obsessing is beginning already, even before my delivery.

Cheers,

J

I did a little comparison in one of my overnight cooks, where I used one of my single probe mavericks so I could keep an eye on the cooker temp. During a 250* low and slow, the wireless probe was reading about 10 degrees lower at the main grill level, than the temperature probe on the dome.

dscn2039tm7.jpg

If I remember correctly, the temps at the grill level for the direct cooks were not much different, maybe 10-15 degrees, but all I did was remove the Tel-Tru from the dome and hold it in the polder hole for a couple minutes during one of my first couple of cooks.

I just re-read the recipe above (I only skimmed it earlier because i was in class 8) ).

Besides the temp being absent, whats the story with the brick??

I have seen people use a brick when pan searing, which I can understand, but why have the brick when on the grill?? Is the brick supposed to be preheated? If so, then I guess it could make sense in a non-ceramic, but if its going on cold, what purpose would it serve?

Besides the temp being absent' date=' whats the story with the brick?? [/quote']

It's a way to flatten the chicken. Classic Italian recipe. Pollo al mattone.

I think the flattening keeps bird close to the fire, and gets it all crispy. Not sure the point of it, but it's used in a skillet, in a grill, in any number of different heat sources.