Saucier

Ribs direct?

Hey Sauc., I had always done my ribs direct until I got my KK. My kids don't like sauce so my wife had always baked them in a 250 oven for a few hours. When I have done the baby backs direct, it usually only took 30 to 40 minutes if you shut the lid in between turning times you shouldn't get too much flare up-remember these are pretty tender from the get-go unlike spare ribs which(until the KK) I parboiled first to soften them up. I really like the upper sear grill, but if you're grilling more than a few slabs, you may have to go down to the main grill. I have to state that my favorite way is still indirect for about 4 hours

Yo Prime,

What temp are you running for indirect / 4hrs?

Hey Sauc.' date=' I had always done my ribs direct until I got my KK. My kids don't like sauce so my wife had always baked them in a 250 oven for a few hours. When I have done the baby backs direct, it usually only took 30 to 40 minutes if you shut the lid in between turning times you shouldn't get too much flare up-remember these are pretty tender from the get-go unlike spare ribs which(until the KK) I parboiled first to soften them up. I really like the upper sear grill, but if you're grilling more than a few slabs, you may have to go down to the main grill. I have to state that my favorite way is still indirect for about 4 hours[/quote']

Re: Ribs direct?

Anyone cook their ribs direct?

Thus far my beat ones have been St Louis cut, at 200-225 for 6 hours or so but I have always used the diffuser and pan.

Was thinking of trying them direct to see what would happen with it?

Any thoughts?? :la:

Ribs are also great direct on the main grate of the KK. Just keep a watch on temps, stick closer to 225 and watch for hot spots. Gonna want to give them a flip every once and a while. Not that it is necessary, but when I do flip, a little baste with vinegar, salt and pepper adds to the flavor.

Have even done them in the rotis cradle direct too. Turned out nice.

If you find your are having trouble with them getting too dark, use a rub with less sugar or sub in turbinado sugar instead. Times very a good bit, but I always pull when I can bend the rib rack and they just start to break apart between the larger bones fairly easy. To me, if you wait till the bones are loose, they are overcooked.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Ribs direct?

Yesterday I did four racks 200 degrees for 6 hours, then a one hour rest in foil and a paper sack. They were pretty darn good. They don't get any "bark" though so I am experimenting and hoped that maybe the direct approach might brown them a bit more.

I use a variation of Old Mill Rub from the rub book on mine. It contains among other things, celery salt, pepper, and vinegar powder. Good stuff!

I have two racks left over so might try direct today.

[

Ribs are also great direct on the main grate of the KK. Just keep a watch on temps, stick closer to 225 and watch for hot spots. Gonna want to give them a flip every once and a while. Not that it is necessary, but when I do flip, a little baste with vinegar, salt and pepper adds to the flavor.

-=Jasen=-