WayUpNorth

Anyone have problems with Bears?

Hello everyone, I am new here and am thinking about how great it would be to have a Komodo out on the deck smoking away but once it cools off would I have to worry about a bear coming up on the deck and tipping this new K over and smashing it up? One was over to the neighbors last night and tore up their bird feeders so there all over up here. We had the DNR trap three young ones this spring and we missed two others that we know of. How top heavy is a Gen II? Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Thank you for your time, WayUpNorth in Northern Wisconsin.

Well, I can't say I have a problem with wildlife trying to tip it over, but I've moved mine around several times using the lid handle and it does not feel like its going to tip at all. Its over 600 pounds and seems very stable when I'm rolling in and out of my patio, as far as its center of gravity. But I bet someone else will have an even better answer than I. Sorry I can't be of more help. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with bobvoeh, Is plenty stable while being moved around. Im sure szygies can compute the exact location of the center of gravity, considering the irregular shape, but in the meantime its safe to assume its not going anywhere.

As an added precaution, it should be fairly simple to tether it to the deck just to be safe. Maybe a couple of eye-bolts in the deck under it, a.nd you could wrap a piece of cable around the wheels to keep it from moving or tipping.

Thank you FireMonkey, that makes sense to me. We have had our share of bear problems at our resort in the past with the best one having a bear flip over a three yard container and rolling it down a small hill to try to get into it. We have never had one in the house though! Thanks again and if we pull the trigger on a Komodo I will use your idea to be sure.

As an added precaution' date=' it should be fairly simple to tether it to the deck just to be safe.[/quote']

That really sounds like a good idea. Pretty much attach it to the deck as it was attached to the pallet. If it can get from Indonesia to Florida without tipping over, I don't think a bear can do much worse.

Although I've been wrong before.....