Curly

Welcome Chef

Thanks for the welcome Curly

Been milling over how and where to build a wood fired brick oven. A friend was telling me about the green huevo and started looking at Kamados. Once I found the Komodo knew this could be a great alternative with more diversity and virtually zero effort on my part. The superb craftsmanship, the materials used in its construction and what I have read about Dennis are the thing that drew me in, along with saving me the actual physical labor of building an oven myself. Have lots of recipes, unfortunately no experience cooking with a Komodo, so there will be a learning curve. Will definitely post once I get cooking.

baking with fire-

worked in a swiss bakery back in college about 3 years. learned how to make swiss water breads, croissant from scratch, baguettes, linzertorte, etc. we used the old stone-floored pizza ovens.

i have done thin crust pizza on my mexi-K, and here to tell you, ceramics are top notch with baking! best thing about it is the temp stability... unlike gas or 'lectric stoves, which cycle on and off as temps dip or rise, the ceramics stay at one temp as long as there's fuel burning and the air can get to the fuel unobstucted. breads don't get shocked and bake very evenly.

welcome!

ok, this ever happen to you??

you're working like mad in the bakery, over 100 deg, making bread dough, getting flour everywhere

you get home in the evening and discover that the flour dust that got all over your arm hairs combined with your sweat and baked onto all the tiny hairs from putting your arms in and out of the ovens?? i hated that. you gotta scrape it off in the shower to get it off.

i would drink 2-3 bus pitchers of ice tea/diet pepsi before noon and not hit the head ONCE!

So really, you baked bread under your arms huh? Wow, I'm sure there is an elite crowd somewhere that would pay huge amounts of money for that...I mean, if someone will pay $100 a lb for coffee that was pooped from a particular monkey, they'd probably pay as much for the armpit cooked banana bread to dip in it :shock:

Offended :?: teach me the armpit bread trade and I'll sell it by the truck loads. :lol:

Hey PorkChop, the coffee beans pooped by a monkey at $100 lb is true, google it and see.

I don't have time to go googling now, but isn't it a whole lot more expensive than that?

Actually it's not a monkey.. TMI

Known as the luwak, luak, musang, toddy cat, civet, palm civet and civet-cat, many people believe it is a wild cat. While it is a mammal it is actually a cousin of the mongoose. Probably it’s closest North American counterpart is the skunk with which it shares the ability to excrete a noxious odor from scent glands near it’s anus.

The animal can range from four to eleven pounds and is largely nocturnal. While it is an omnivore, the luwak is particularly fond of perfectly ripe coffee cherries. Thanks to coffee farmers, the luwak has no troubles finding plenty of coffee.

Once eaten, the coffee cherries take the normal route through the animal’s digestive path. The amazing thing is while the fruit of the coffee is being digested, the bean is left largely unchanged, eventually passing in the animals droppings.

The droppings and their caffeine-laden content are collected by farmers. The coffee is then cleaned and the green, un-roasted bean shipped to roasters.

Why would you want to drink this shitty coffee? There are a lot of theories on why kopi luwak is different. Research has determined that coffee passed by a luwak has been changed chemically. Specifically the process seems to break down some of the bean’s proteins which are known to contribute to the bitterness of coffee.

So research from the University of Guelph in Canada, reported here, and further detailed in this article confirms the coffee’s chemical makeup is altered by it’s special little journey, I think it also important to consider the luwak’s own affinity for fine coffee.

When coffee, like other fruit, is harvested, not all the fruit will be perfectly ripe. Since the majority is ripe and it is to be combined for use, the end product comes out well; however, if you have an animal which naturally selecting only the ripest fruit you will end up with a product of unparalleled quality.

If coffee beans from a polecat's ass cost that much, just imagine what fish semen from a veterinarian's nose could sell for!

Maybe I could trade a teaspoon for an OTB. How about it Dennis?

BTW, guys, this is only funny cause I wrote it. Let's not run too far with this concept.