Jackie from Jersey

EZ Que 8" cradle

mine arrived today around 2:00. Went home from work to install it and thoughts of a turkey breast spinning around inspired me. All I need to do is attach the bracket on the KK and it should be good to go...Wellll life isn't always so simple now is it! The shafts from Dennis were about 1/8" to long, had to grind down the spring loaded side so it would barely slide in. Next the motor mount bracket had to have the holes modified to fit on the SupremeV2, I burned up two cobalt drill bits but got 'er done. Next the spring loaded shaft was not going to fit in either opening no matter how hard I tried, the spring was compressed in such a way as to be larger in diameter than the openings in the bearing on the KK and in the motor( the motor came from my Sam's Club gasser, very heavy duty) Once I put on my readers I could see the spring was screwed on too far and had ridden up onto the shaft(my fault!). Next the mounting plate on the motor had such a wide space between the shaft opening and the outside of the plate the shaft was woefully short, the spring could not advance the shaft far enough to reach the bushing on the KK.Well I fixed that problem by hammering the crap out of the mounting plate to make it flush with the motor housing, did such a nice job the threaded holes would no longer accept the screws that came with it,no problem, just got out my tap and die set that I've used maybe twice in my life, and attempted to re-thread the holes--it's now about 3:45, Denise asked politely " Should I just put it in the oven?". boy that stainless is pretty tough stuff! Gave up on threading the holes and just screwed the damn thing back together with sheet metal screws. The opening aligned with the KK bearing, close enough for govt. work, started it up and the motor is still too far away! Nuts, thought I,(actually thought of another couple of phrases, actually said them under my breath,but this is a pretty polite forum so you can imagine) Remembering someone talking about using a rubber band to rectify this situation, I now understand what trouble they were facing. Not having a rubber band that size and not finding any zip ties long enough I fabricated a clip out of some old stock aluminum that fits between the mounting bracket and the KK..it fits if you put the washers on the two bolts first and then put on the motor mount. the clip is shaped like a squared off letter "J" and is about as thick as a slice of very thick bacon( hey,I'm a butcher). It works very well now, no slop at all in the movement of the shaft and it's now 6:30, the store closed half an hour ago, and the turkey is done. Had to run back to the store to take out the jerkey that's been going since 10 this morning Very good batch if I do say so! Finally got to eat at 7. Didn't get a chance to cut the promised ribeyes, maybe tomorrow. Spell check is down , so bear with me!

Hmmm, I've known some pretty uptite and disagreable folks here on the North Shore, and it's always the 2% that you remember, not so much the 98% of the really great people. If money isn't the root of all evil it may be the way people have aquired it. Most of my clientelle could buy and sell me several times a day, but it's usually the people who have made it on their own steam that are pretty decent, most of the "old money" folks can be pretty nasty. It used to bother me, but as my wonderfull wife keeps saying, "just smile and take their money"! I'd have to say most midwesterners would probably fare well on the personality poll. Send a link or PM to the article if you can

I burned up two cobalt drill bits but got 'er done.

just got out my tap and die set that I've used maybe twice in my life, and attempted to re-thread the holes--it's now about 3:45, Denise asked politely " Should I just put it in the oven?". boy that stainless is pretty tough stuff!

A couple of tips on working with SS if you like. Cobalt bits are great for SS, but not really necessary on thin stuff. They are very brittle and shatter on the smallest catches. Standard tool steel bits are fine. The trick is very slow drilling and sharp bits. If using a drill press, slow it down to the minimum speed (and that is not usually slow enough). What happens when you drill at high speed is you heat up the SS and temper it while melting the drill point as it can't cut that fast. Slow speed and cutting oil is the easiest way. If your drill does not do lower speeds (325 or less), use short bursts of pressure allowing to cool.

Same deal with the tap and die....slow. No more than one half turn cutting before backing out to clean. Use plenty of cutting oil. SS is tough, but not brittle, which makes it harder to work with and just takes time.

Also if you ever need to cut any SS.....slow down the cutting speed. Unless it is a cutoff wheel as that does not apply. But blade devices will benefit.

-=Jasen=-

And by the way...Johnies Jammies fit over the rotisserie motor' date=' once again, nice work John. Gotta love that "Dupont" sunbrella fabric!! :wtg:[/quote']

Thanks Primeats!! Good info to know..

Is the reinforcement area (6" band) substantial enough to protect from the motor rubbing??

And what the heck is "Dupont" Sunbrella??? :angryfire::smt018: :sign6:

I exclusively use "Glenn Raven" Sunbrella!! :wtg:

:stick::lol: