Firemonkey

Lump Adjustments

Being from NJ I'm very familiar with that technique - but do you have to loan it money and wait for it to default on payment first? :)

I live on a mostly wooded lot so I usually just pick up a nearby stick, but I'm guessing a chunk of rebar or a small pipe would be more efficient.

Spare the rod...

That rod reminds me of high school. After skipping homeroom 40 times in a row I got called in, and chose the paddle over three nights detention.

The hero of our era was getting a particularly "attentive" paddling for worse misdemeanors. He managed to slide out of the way of the swing at the last instant, and the paddle-wielding vice principal broke his hand on the table.

Sys...I recently channel flipped into some reality show where a principal gave the students a choice of the paddle or detention. The point is the students chose the alternative punishment and they intentionally did not make it easy. I'm going to guess that the parents had to agree considering this was a current show. They did have a girl choose the paddle, but I did not watch the whole show to see her response.

This may come as a shock, but I got a spankin' once in school. In like 8th or 9th grade, I was given the choice of getting suspended or some old fashioned corporal punishment. Of course, I was more interested in keeping the incident off my parents radar so I chose the latter.

Now, this was in the 80's so parental consent was required before any kind of beatin' could commence. They gave me a consent form to take home (and sign on behalf of my parents 8) ) The next day, when I went to school, I wore a looser pair of jeans, but I had a towel folded up in the seat of my pants, so they were still pretty snug. How the assistant principle didnt recognize this anatomic anomaly as she told me to bend over her desk still makes me chuckle even today!

I think I went second out of the three of us that were involved, and as she swung this big plank of a paddle for all she was worth, it made more of a thud upon impact, rather than the sharp smack it made on the others. Sure, I could feel it a little, even through the towel, but it only barely stung for a second. Nothing like what the firecracker impacts the other two got. I went into the bathroom, pulled the towel out, and went about my day smiling inside that I had gotten away with one. Its a good thing i was the one who checked the mail a few days later, and absconded with the letter again informing my parents what had taken place...there wouldn't have been time to make adequate preparations for that one :D

Some years later, as I became older and wiser, this experience just reminds me that paddling didnt have any deterrent effect at all on my strong will. If anything, I think it just gave the adults a vent for their frustration!