Baby Huey

Coke Can Chicken

There isn't much talk of beer can chicken on this forum, and I have never previously tried to make one, but boy am I glad that I I finally got around to it trying it out.

First off, I decided to try Coke Can Chicken instead of Beer Can Chicken simply because a friend recommended it. I bought a 6+ pound roasting chicken from my local market and proceeded to season it with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express (my current favorite Dizzy Pig rub).

Pq1ORrf0.jpg

gx1A5QU0.jpg

In the bottom picture you can see the Coke can that the chicken is sitting on.

I had read several different ways and temperatures to cook the chicken, but I decided to cook it indirect at 350. It ended up taking about 2 hours to reach a breast temp of 160 and a thigh temp of 180. Here is what it looked like after coming off the KK.

aV1Obb_9.jpg

gx1A6jPJ.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the skin was starting to split and it smelled fantastic (you may not be able to that it smelled fantastic, but at least you can see that the skin was splitting :D ). The end result was some of the most tender and moist chicken that I have ever eaten, I will definitely be doing it again in the future!

Below is a picture from a Wagu Brisket that my brother bought me from Lobel's. Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures of it because it disappeared so fast, but it was amazing.

Pq1OSt5J.jpg

I always thought I'd like to try beer or coke can chicken, but I just can't get past the use of the KY-Jelly to slide the can up that bird's back end!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:

In all seriousness that chicken and brisket look awesome! You can (almost) smell it! Great pics!

Haha-hehe You're thinking KY when you should be thinking EVOO!!!

Maybe that'll help you get past the idea..... hehe :lol::lol::lol::smt021

The chickens I've made on my cooker have been the can type. I used a cola once, and it was very good. Later, I purchased one of the more high fallutin kind - instead of just using the can, it's a stainless steel thing with a tube and a tray. Fill the tube with wine or whatever, and off you go.

Can't say that the high fallutin one was any better than the cola can, but both were delicious! :)