LarryR

Next Cook Beef Cheek Barbacoa Style

BARBACOA PICTURES

If you've ever had true Barbacoa I don't have to tell you how awesome it is. Problem is doing a whole cow head can be a real pain. Well I was at the meat counter today and saw they had beef cheek (best part of Barbacoa)! I Bought 12 lbs and I'll be doing it tomorrow, can't wait. If you've never had beef cheek you've got to try it, very tender and flavorful.

Anyone ever done beef cheek on their ceramic and have any tips? My plan is to go 225 grate over a little red oak for 4 hours then foil for two. Man I can taste it now!

Will be eating good tomorrow!! I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Pictures Updated

Seasoned the cheek(s) with kosher salt, pepper, ancho powder, cinnamon and cumin. Put her on the cooker at 225 grate with a piece of red oak for 4 hours. Transfered to foil pan, added a mixture of beef and chicken stock to steam, foil over the top and back on the cooker at 275 for another 2 hours.

Smelled amazing!

Where are the pics? Am I missing something?

The link to the pictures is in my original post second line of the post.

Turned out great, better than I remember. So tender and flavorful. Took longer in the foil than I had planned on but well worth the wait. Next time I'll probably do an al pastor type seasoning and maybe cut the time outside of the foil down.

Pictures are updated: Well just finished dinner (the meat was done too late last night for dinner) and I've got to say WOW it turned out great, much better than my expectations for a first run at this dish (and how it looked during the cook). I'd give it a solid B+. Meat was very moist, a nice hit of smoke, very tender and flavorful. Served with corn tortillas, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes and red onion.

Next time I think I'll kick the spices up a bit, maybe do an Al Pastor type seasoning. I recommend for a "off the beaten path" cook.