tcoliver

30 Pound Fresh Ham

Well folks its been a while since I did a low and slow cook and what better time to dust off the cobwebs than Thanksgiving. I have had two 30 pound hams in my freezer from when I butchered a hog a while back and its time to cook one up. Just started at 6:00pm and got er on the grill about 7:45. All I did is rub it down and inject it with some Jerk marinade. Simple but hopefully delicious.

Here is the setup:

Here is some extruded coconut lump that I still have from several years ago when RJ had the good stuff. Don't be fooled this is NOT the crap he is selling now.

dsc02279jx9.th.jpg

This is what it looked like when it was the good quality. Notice no mold even after 5 years.

dsc02281ls4.th.jpg

Here is the KK loaded up, this is all but one row of the box of lump. I put some regular lump on the bottom to get the extruded stuff going. This should easily last the 15 or so hours I plan to cook this beast.

dsc02283eg4.th.jpg

Here it is all 30 lbs.

dsc02285dt6.th.jpg

dsc02286kr2.th.jpg

Here it is loaded on the KK

dsc02287nx5.th.jpg

dsc02289bw2.th.jpg

Thanks DJ for the polder plug!!

dsc02292gk4.th.jpg

Here is the beautiful KK at work.

dsc02293ee9.th.jpg

dsc02295lb1.th.jpg

Now I sit and wait.

dsc02296om2.th.jpgthpix.gif

I will get some final product pictures tomorrow, I plan to pull it about 10:00am tomorrow morning.

Well here are the final cook pictures, pulled it at 165 deg., about 15 hour cook time. I'll let you know how it tastes in a few hours.

dsc02209lv8.th.jpg

dsc02207gd2.th.jpg

dsc02208ey9.th.jpg

Final Pictures, and no thats not my wife, its the hostess, good friends of ours. Have to say the ham was awesome, very juicy and luckily lots of leftovers too.

dsc02211lb2.th.jpg

dsc02212oh3.th.jpg

Just got up an hour ago,meat temp is at about 160 and the grill is still chugging along at 220. No hickups thru the night, slept like a baby. The beer is actually a Black and Tan, however I do have a couple Yuengling in the fridge, they just started selling them hear in Georgia, used to only be able to get them when I went to Hilton Head. Pictures will be coming soon!!!

Well I definately dispelled the theory that EC doesn't get hot. After the cook I took out all the whole pieces of EC and left the half burnt ones and opened everything up to clean things up a bit. Came back an hour later and the temp guage was pinned. May have been partly the leftover grease burning but it definately got hot.