Firemonkey

Rib Roast

Re: Rib Roast

One of the most complimented cooks I ever did was a standing rib roast. Here's my post from April 27, 2009:

Alright folks, I know these forums are full of superlatives, but this is no joke. You HAVE TO do a slow smoked, standing 4 rib roast!!!! This may be the best meat I've ever eaten, superior to even the best filet mignon. I took a boneless 4 rib roast, about 8 lbs., marinated it in soy, Worcestershire, garlic and olive oil, and roasted it at 225. I put a LOAD of mesquite in there. Because this is in essence just a giant ribeye steak, I pulled it at what would be about medium, 150 degrees, and foiled it. It was out of this world good. If you are not a fan of ribeye steaks, do this anyway. Because this meat is so tender to start with, it doesn't require prolonged cooking. This baby was done in about 4 hours or so. After you do your first one, you can adjust your done temp to how you like it. I'm sticking with 150! You will absolutely be the star of the party with this one. http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=781

I still get raves on this, two years later. 150 might be too done for you, the only way to perfect your finish is to do a test run. The surface texture was great, no need for any sear at all. Interestingly, and on a related note, I did two big prime ribeyes last night which reinforced my opinion that these can be tastier than a filet. And we have said this many times; KK will ruin you for any steak cooked on the "outside". NO steak at any restaurant can come close to what you can do.

It was amazing. Covered it with roasted garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.

prime_rib_pre.jpg

The only problem I had was I didn't allow enough time to get my KK up to temp and I ended up rushing and over shooting. So I ended up doing it for 5 hrs at 250, pulled at 125, off for 30 min to rest then back on at 600 for about 8 min.

prime_rib_done.jpg

The result was melt in your mouth delicous and the best roast I have ever eaten.

prime_rib_cut.jpg

Notice there is no "bullseye" in the center! Only MR throughout!

Please expand on meaning of no bullseye, MR throughout.... MR possibly short for marbleing?

Thanks

I think he means that it's medium rare (MR) throughout without the outer ring of well done, giving it the appearance of a bullseye.

I found this page http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the- ... ref=se-bb4 very helpful.

If you like your meat charred on the outside and rare in the middle, cook it on a raging hot fire down close to the fire. If you want it more evenly cooked, cook it up high away from the fire, direct. It takes longer, gets a little more smoke flavor imbued in to it, and comes out more evenly done. It's also slower to hit your finish temp and does not blow right past your finish temp so it's a more leisurely cook. Get yourself just downwind, fire up a stogey, grab an adult beverage, and bask in the smells and flavors of that little combo.

Notice there is no "bullseye" in the center! Only MR throughout!

Please expand on meaning of no bullseye, MR throughout.... MR possibly short for marbleing?

Thanks

"No bullseye" means there's no ring of grey overcooked meat, with a pink center. It's entirely perfectly medium rare. Often, if one cooks at a higher temp the whole time (rather than reverse sear, or the Cook's Illustrated method of quick pan sear, and extended low temp cook), one gets grey overcooked meat at the outside.

All the pics on this thread are magnificent!

Gotta put a plug in for the CI method of low temp chuck roast. Be sure to cut it very thin, but it's a perfect way to cook an inexpensive cut.

:happy8:

If you like your meat charred on the outside and rare in the middle' date=' cook it on a raging hot fire down close to the fire. If you want it more evenly cooked, cook it up high away from the fire, direct. It takes longer, gets a little more smoke flavor imbued in to it, and comes out more evenly done. It's also slower to hit your finish temp and does not blow right past your finish temp so it's a more leisurely cook. Get yourself just downwind, fire up a stogey, grab an adult beverage, and bask in the smells and flavors of that little combo.[/quote']

Doc, I like the way you think!After staying up til midnight last nite putting a crate around the KK that Dennis is shipping to Michigan, tonight I'm going to celebrate my 51st by doing just that! I saw a nice bottle of Glenfiddich Denise was hiding as a gift for me. Got a great Excalliber Maduro that is just right for tonight. And then a nice bottle of mouthwash for this evening afterwards! ;)

All these posts about rib roasts put me in the mood. It's been two years since I did one; so yesterday I got a 4 bone standing. That's a piece of beef, not a condition!!! I'll slow smoke it at 225 indirect on a mesquite fire, since that worked so well before. Hopefully a few photos to follow. Happy Easter!

All these posts about rib roasts put me in the mood. It's been two years since I did one; so yesterday I got a 4 bone standing. That's a piece of beef' date=' not a condition!!! I'll slow smoke it at 225 indirect on a mesquite fire, since that worked so well before. Hopefully a few photos to follow. Happy Easter![/quote']

Four ribs? Must be just you and the wife, Doc! BTW, that will be more than one cigar!!