bsacco

Using as a Pizza oven

There's a pretty thorough recent discussion here.

I'm sure there are other discussions on the forum, too. It's great for pizza, and the topic comes up a lot.

I think Dennis makes a stone. I don't recall if anyone uses the deflector as a pizza stone. I use Fibrament - good weight, durable. (I use Another Manufacturer's Cooker, so do not have Dennis' stone or deflector.)

Hey Bob

Pizza is now a weekly event at our house and it's dead easy. The stone that comes with the K.K. on the upper sear grill works great. I preheat the stone as the K.K. heats up to as high as I can get it. So far with a full basket of charcoal we can get to 750. A thin crust pizza take between 7 and 9 minutes.

We use caputo oo chef's flour ( sometimes called pizzeria flour ). One bag, with app. 550 ml. h20, 5 teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon dry active yeast is my recipe but I'm sure others work great. Remember not too much sauce or too much cheese!.

The K.K. makes a great outdoor pizza oven, it was one of the biggest factors in buying one. Good luck with the pie, Robby

Also use the heat deflector or the crust will burn

Take a look at these websites for recipes they have an incredible amount of information. I have made pizza 3 times now in my KK at 700 deg. using lump charcoal and have been amazed at the complexity of the flavor. I'm also using a combination of commercial yeast and a natural starter. The texture and flavor DO NOT compare to an oven made pizza.

www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

www.pizzamaking.com

Fresh from the BLASPHEMY DEPT:

For the lazy and hurried,even frozed pizzas (DiGiornos,et.al)

are better when cooked over charcoal. Heat-soak the dome to

450 and place directly on the top grill with a deflector below.

dub(NOT gonna say it's just as good)

I've become quite a fan of what someone called "cheater pizza". I put the stone or other heat-deflector on the lower rack and a half-baked Zachary's deep-dish chicken special directly on the grill. Adds nice smoke flavor and crisps the crust. And dead-simple lazy, too.

The people at the store always ask if I've made the half-baked before and it's fun to see their expression when I say, yes, just pop it on the BBQ...

OK here's my latest and best experiment ussing the KK. Temp was 700 pizzacooked in 3 min.! Next time I'll use different charcoal I used the Royal Oak lump (from ecuador) and thought it was horrible I had a hard time keeping the temps up and got very little flavor from it. The pizzas came out perfectly cooked top and bottom.

Pq1fkKP0.jpg