Brooklyn

Make ahead pulled pork

Hello all! I need to make a pork butt two days ahead of when it will be eaten. Ideally, I would love to show off and pull the pork just before serving. Anyone out there have some ideas on the best procedure. Should I undercook a bit, refrigerate immediately and then bring up to ? temp on the day of the feast? All your expert thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

50476858.jpg

Assuming that you really need 2 days of lead time, I would probably cook it all the way, and then reheat it whole in a crock pot for a few hours before pulling it.

But a whole butt or two straight out of the cooker, wrapped in foil, wrapped in towels, and placed in a cooler will stay hot enough to serve for almost a whole day. Maybe you could cook it one day in advance and hold in the cooler overnight, or let it cook over night and hold in the cooler all day?

cook ahead

Thanks for the reply. I need to cook it at home and be finished by Friday afternoon. Then transport it somewhere else (3 hrs away) and serve it Saturday evening. I don't have access to a crock pot. I could put it in a dutch oven at low temp but what would be the liquid.

If you are not going to be pulling it until serving time, I dont know that you would need any liquid. Maybe pull it from the grill, immediately seal it up in foil and get it in the fridge. Put the whole thing in a 300* oven (still in the foil) for about an hour, or until its warm again in the middle, then take it out and pull it.

Your bark might get a little soft, but I dont think it will be a big deal.

Liquid is usally added when you pull it ahead of time and want to keep it moist in a serving tray, like in a steam table or buffet line. Chilling it as soon as you take it off the grill, and leaving it whole should keep it from drying out, and leave you with ample moisture in the foil pouch to reheat.

For a situation where you need liquid, apple juice and cider vinegar are common. I usually use a few tablespoons of juice and one tablespoon of vinegar when I pull it ahead of time.

Make ahead pulled pork

Thanks. That's perfect! I think I can also get away with wrapping it in Saran Wrap first and then foil before oven. As long as temp is below 375, plastic will be ok. I can always put it on the grill for a few to crisp up the bark again. I'll let you know how it goes in a week. Gotta concentrate now on the pork for the 4th.

If needed I cook the pork ahead of the needed day, leave the bone in, chill in a large crockpot, chill in said pot (need extra room in the fridge for this), then slow heat on the day of the event and pull apart. Good eating no matter how you do it as long as it is done in the KK.