DennisLinkletter

Cookin' a big slab of Mahi Mahi again..

After the great success of my last Mahi Mahi cook, I decided to cook some for some friends tonight.. But this time the store only had skinless fillets.

Any ideas here? I'm concerned that it will break apart while flipping it or removing it. I'd love to try a plank but don't have one handy.

What's the groups feeling about putting the meat down on a banana leaf?

It is very common to cook meat and vegetables wrapped in them..

;);)

Wrap it in a leaf...no problem there. You can put it straight on the grate, too. I routinely put big (1.75#) skinless salmon fillets on the grate and they flip fine with just a spatula.

You can also put the skinless mahi right on the grate. I usually cut mine to about hand sized pieces and just flip them with tongs, so with a spatula you will have no problem.

I'm gonna get more grill taste without the leaf

Wrap it in a leaf...no problem there. You can put it straight on the grate, too. I routinely put big (1.75#) skinless salmon fillets on the grate and they flip fine with just a spatula.

You can also put the skinless mahi right on the grate. I usually cut mine to about hand sized pieces and just flip them with tongs, so with a spatula you will have no problem.

I'm gonna get more grill taste without the leaf.. I guess I should coat both the grill and fish with EVOO and wait for the fish to release completely before attempting to do the flip..

Do you cook to temp or just eyeball it.. Last time I cooked it to 140º

I just eyeball it (dont have a thermapen).

Get the grate hot, wipe it with oil, let it heat for a min or two, wipe again right before putting the fish on. It wont stick. - especially on those shiny grates of yours!

I usually cook my fish all the way, so i flip when i see the fat bubbles starting to form on top.

The 19.5" "Lil' Isla" is the one with the sh

I just eyeball it (dont have a thermapen).

Get the grate hot, wipe it with oil, let it heat for a min or two, wipe again right before putting the fish on. It wont stick. - especially on those shiny grates of yours!

I usually cook my fish all the way, so i flip when i see the fat bubbles starting to form on top.

I'll be cookin' it on the big boy.. the 19.5" "Lil' Isla" is the one with the shinny grates..

Do you cook your fish about 400º? about 7-8 minutes? I can't believe that I'm living in the middle of the ocean and have not been cookin' seafood! I eat lots but have not been cooking it myself.. That sure changed when we ate that grilled MM last week..

Thanks Y'all.. Gotta love this forum..

Yeah' date=' about 400 dome. I dont pay as much attention to the temps when I am grilling as when i am roasting. I just grill it over hot coals. About the same as burger/chicken breast grilling temperatures. I cook it until it starts to flake when i bend it with tongs.[/quote']

Gotta love this forum.. An hour ago, I asked how to... and now I know.

I'll post purdy picts lader!

:lol::lol:

but I was not dancing like the week before.

OK' date=' times up - Where are those pics?!?!?! :lol::lol:[/quote']

All starts off well..

IMG_2247.jpg

I trimmed the fillet taking off the thinner areas so I had two large slabs that were the same thickness.

Olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

IMG_2248.jpg

Threw it on after some squash and zucchini grilled for a while. I was talked into flipping it earlier than I wanted to but it was white at least 85% of the way thru..

IMG_2250.jpg

I tossed the lil pieces on a piece of banana leaf... It browned up except under the meat, just like a paper cup in a fire won't burn if full of water..

IMG_2252.jpg

Pulled it off same temp as last time (135-40º) but while very moist it was not fall apart tender like the fish last week. Everybody said it was good but it was not the "magic" fish I ate the previous two times.

I bought it vacuum packed from a market and maybe it was not as fresh as the fish bought the week before in a gourmet shop..

IMG_2253.jpg

It tasted fine and was very moist.. but I was not dancing like the week before.