Syzygies

Is P for Pig? (meat markings on whole shoulder)

6009_125962084975_588449975_3199382_8325359_n.jpg

Boy am I glad I checked this thread! I though about taking the skin off, but I'm thinking the meat by the skin will come out real moist. I started to put the shoulder on skin up, but after this discussion I raced back out to flip it over.

Picnic to the left? I've cooked plenty of butts over the years, and I don't recall anything looking like a leg stump.

(The cooker in question is a "Sacramento skinless" #7 Kamado, we're waiting for it to actually crack in half before we buy a Komodo Kamado.)

Thanks.

We ordered the shoulder, one day notice, from Diablo Foods: 3615 Mount Diablo Blvd, Lafayette, CA. Twenty minutes away for us, but the best butcher this side of the Berkeley/Oakland hills.

I'd be stunned if there isn't an outstanding butcher in Napa that can also order this. We have various family up there; I can ask...

Cambro food box sized nicely for shoulder

Here's a box sized nicely for pork shoulders (12 x 18 x 6, fitting a 16 lbs shoulder):

10135_142466139975_588449975_3421805_4066288_n.jpg

Cambro Food Box 12186P

Cambro Food Box Cover 1218CP

There's also a clear variant (less likely to stain) for twice the money, and other heights. Also recently tested for ribs.

My source was Chef's First, in their bricks-and-mortar incarnation as East Bay Restaurant Supply.

edit: This box is good only to 160 F, the more expensive clear plastic box is good to 210 F. An issue only if you want to use it after a cook.