danioro

New KK'er to be

braai/ meatloaf/ another grilling wok application

After watching the youtube braai video, I decided that would be a good secondary cook while I was cooking a meatloaf. I put the meatloaf in a grilling wok, and threw on a big ring of sausage also. Shut the lid, set the Guru for 300, and let 'er rip. I just pulled off the sausage when I figured it had been in there long enough. It was super! Not exactly an open grill, like the video braai, but good. The meatloaf came off at 160 degrees and is resting in foil now. Well, I opened the foil for a second to get the photo. There's no photos of the sausage because... I ate it. The meatloaf is a combo of turkey, pork and chuck. I'll sample that shortly.

TswC3W0.jpg

TswCqni.jpg

Boerewors Recipe

This is a very traditional boerewors, and actually my favorite. One can Jazz it up with extra garlic, chile, tomato etc. But this is one of the best. The very earliest recipes from "Voortrekker" days used mutton as well.

The secret in the making of good boerewors lies in the quality of the ingredients used. The better the quality of the meat the better tasting the boerewors.

1.5 kg beef (Use shoulder or chuck)

1.5 kg pork (Use boston butt)

500 g bacon, diced (fattier the better, perhaps speck)

25 ml salt

5 ml ground pepper

50 ml ground coriander Toast whole seeds and grind )

2 ml freshly grated nutmeg

1ml ground cloves

2 ml ground dried thyme

2 ml ground allspice

125 ml red wine vinegar

1 clove garlic, crushed

50 ml Worcestershire sauce

85 g sausage casings

Cut the beef and pork meat into 1.5 " cubes and mix it with all the other ingredients except the sausage casings. Grind the meat using a medium-course grinding plate. Fill the sausage casings firmly but not too tightly with the meat mixture.

Can be fried, grilled or barbecued over coals. Dying to try in KK! Some say prick the wors to allow juices to escape. I disagree! As long as wors is not packed too tightly, it won't explode!

demo lunatic

Did you also take a few minutes to figure out that you are staring at Geese and not ducks?!?!?!? :lol::lol::lol:;)

It was bugging me that they looked like geese. Slow night, I guess.

I once dated someone whose mom shot geese, didn't know how to cook them very well, so passed them on to me. I'd pass them to friends, who'd generally refuse the second time, as cooking a wild goose made them look bad. Finally I offered one to Giuliano Bugialli, who gave me precise directions how to prepare it before bringing it to the next class. He lined it inside and out with rosemary, prosciutto, salt and pepper, then swaddled it in an enormous flour-salt dough casing (in the day one might have used clay) to bake blind till done. It was spectacular.

Years later he gives me a bear-hug at a large demonstration class at Macy's, and draws this story out of me as a remembrance for the benefit of the organizer, who didn't think his fan base would bother making fresh pasta. Perhaps not the first time I've been used as a "demo lunatic".

Man, if I shot all those great lookin birds, I'd EAT em bros! That'sgood meat right there! Yum!

BTW, what specis of duck are those? Looked kinda like geese to me, but I'm no expert.

They are mostly Canadian Honkers a few Specks all the ducks we got were mallards---what we didn't donate we ate up there and there is nothing like fresh BBQ ed duck or speck breast

[quote="Duk

They are mostly Canadian Honkers a few Specks all the ducks we got were mallards---what we didn't donate we ate up there and there is nothing like fresh BBQ ed duck or speck breast

Are Canada Geese good eats? If so, how prepared? Wild Duck is devine but I have never had Canucks

My First Cook

TsLwSS0.jpg

Peoria skyline in background.

Here's the news y'all, that beatch is HEAVY!!! It took 3 strong men and 1 Anesthesiologist to carry the frikker up 2 flights of stairs.

But then I was hungry and couldn't stand any longer so....

1) Half a basket of hardwood charcoal from Lowes

2) Mapp torch for 45 seconds

3) Damper and hat wide open

4) Temp up to 400 degrees in about 7 mins. Didn't seem to want to go any higher but coals were hot soo..

5) Threw on a coupla mesquite chunks and 2 Grass fed Illinois Angus Porterhouse steaks

6) 8 mins later Steak Dinner!!!!!!! with sliced SandMountain tomatoes from Alabammy.

7) YUMMO! Medium rare and mesquite smoke was just right despite not soaking mesquite before the kook. JUST RIGHT Y'ALL!! I am really in love.

Questions:

How do I get the temp higher than 400F for a steak sear? More charcoal? I understaqnd that heat soak is unnecessary for steak sear but I felt the temp could have been higher, closer to 550 for a good sear.

So Dan - looking out your backyard one has to wonder why you need so many boats? :lol:

To get the temp up high and fast - slide open the back door on the KK (ash removal door) about an inch. Open the draft wheel wide open and slide the draft door open about an inch. Top hat all the way open. Fill the lump basket with fresh coal or just top off used coal with fresh dry coal. Light about three or so areas of the coals with the Mapp torch. Set the Upper/Sear grill on the handles of the charcoal basket and close the KK. Watch that temp soar! It will take about 15 mins for that temp to rise above 500 F, but it will just keep going. Watch that it does not get too hot! I sear at 500 to 550 - you have to appreciate that that temp is at the dome. The temp over that fire is WAY hotter!

Let me know how you make out -

:diabloanifire:

So Dan - looking out your backyard one has to wonder why you need so many boats? :lol:

sear at 500 to 550 - you have to appreciate that that temp is at the dome. The temp over that fire is WAY hotter!

:diabloanifire:

Over the years, I have had many boats and now realize that it is more important to have many FRIENDS with boats! That way, one can pitch up at dock with full cooler looking pitiful, and the promise of a great KK cook after, and have great boat ride with min. hassle and expense. I am so smart, don't you agree? Another reason to purchase the KK!

Thanks for the Sear advice. My first cook was nigh on perfect, just needed a little higher temp sear (reverse sear?) at the end to carmelize and make it righteous.

You da man Conodo!

dome temp irrelevant

You don't need a specific temperature on your dome thermometer to grill. The dome temp is way up high above where you are cooking. All you really want is your meat finish temp. What you need is just a good hot fire, and you can see that with your eyes. For a good hot fire you want a lot of coals going. One good way to get that is to light two charcoal chimneys full of lump, let them both really get going, and then dump that on top of a basket full of lump. That right there is your hot grilling fire. You are starting a lot of coal at once this way, not waiting for a small amount of fire to grow. A good way to do this is to use an old charcoal grill as your staging area for the two charcoal chimneys. A safe place to hold them while they start up. Now that you have a good hot fire, just decide if you want to sear first, or do a Finney and sear last. Use a thermometer to achieve your done temp. You will find a lot of different methods of grilling on these forums. Here's one example. Sear down close on a hot fire, shut down the KK vents, move the meat up high in the cooker and let it dwell til done temp. Here's another example. Cook a little higher above the fire, slowly, til done temp, then a quick sear down close to the fire. And there's a lot more methods. Try them all and see which you prefer. Be forewarned: if you do the method of shutting down the vents and dwelling, you can get a flashback when you open the cooker. See: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Re: My First Cook

Questions:

How do I get the temp higher than 400F for a steak sear? More charcoal? I understaqnd that heat soak is unnecessary for steak sear but I felt the temp could have been higher, closer to 550 for a good sear.

For max temps pull out the draft door an inch or so from the body. I easily see 800 and above using that technique even though it's not entirely necessary. Its great for thin cuts though like skirt steaks. .

Great suggestions! I opened the doors an inch or so and BABY that thing was screamin! 600F in 6 minutes, faster than any stinkin GG could hope to be! Mere pretenders to the throne they are.

I have been so impressed with the ease of use of the KK. I was worried that it would be too much of a hassle to light and tend for everyday use, but I couldn't have been more wrong!

I love the Bronze Goddess and more importantly, wifey does too! :D