Firemonkey

Sirloin tip roast = Jerky and roast beef

I picked up another sirloin tip roast at Sams, so that I could make another batch of beef jerky. These roats are big, so what I typically do is separate the meat from the fat layers. After trimming and slicing, that leaves me with a bunch of thick-sliced jerky strips, a couple pounds of stew/chili chunks, and I save the middle section to make roast beef.

img1534c.jpg

img1535y.jpg

The roast I like to make is a seasoned version of roast beef, cooked over a hot direct fire, called "pit beef" in the Baltimore area. Its a local favorite, and if you try it you will know why.

I posted the recipe in another thread (Pit Beef). This roast was seasoned and allowed to stay wrapped in plastic for 3 days before being cooked on the fourth. It was nothing short of awesome, with a super thin crust, and incredibly tender and juicy.

img1571.jpg

img1572m.jpg

img1573x.jpg

img1575ly.jpg

img1574m.jpg

img1581j.jpg

img1585rj.jpg

The Jerky was chewy and flavorful as always. The technique and recipe can be found here: Beef Jerky

img1536.jpg

Uncooked...

I always liked raw lean hamburger meat as a kid.. and then loved Steak Tartare when I got older..

I'm guessing that if you take meat from the inside of a sirloin like Firemonkeys there is no danger eating it raw as long as reasonably fresh.

And grinding and eating immediately must be ok too..

I had some very thinly sliced TarTare in a upscale place in Bangkok once that was to die for..

Can't believe the government stepped in and made it illegal to serve this and rare hamburgers.. Idiots..

Re: Uncooked...

I had some very thinly sliced TarTare in a upscale place in Bangkok once that was to die for..

My food tour took me to visit a hill tribe in northern Thailand, where our teacher had set up fellowships to keep girls in high school.

The usual welcome was yard chicken, and kiwi moonshine. This visit, however, a tribesman had died shortly after getting out of jail for drug trafficking, and there he was, laid out in a clearing, with neighboring villages over for the funeral. They had slaughtered a calf, laid out nearby on banana leaves, and we were the fortunate recipients of the best raw beef salad I've ever had in my life. This being the hill tribes, fish sauce reverts back to salt, and other simplifications, but it was spectacular.

The next day, my fiftieth birthday, was marked by a very long "repositioning" van ride to get us near the Burmese border, and my bolting to inspect local facilities at every stop.

Of course, it could have been the moonshine. Candied ginger works well for settling the stomach, at times like this.