bryan

Emergency Fire Starter

Re: Emergency Fire Starter

5 potato chips and a match.

And then once you get just a little orange glow going, blast it with a cheapo hair drier... Lots of fun.. brings out the 10 year old pyro in us all.

Ace hardware here ran out of propane bottles about 8 months ago.. as a last option I purchased a bunch of those small wax starters.. I now dig a little hole with my super larger tongs, drop in the burning starter and make a little charcoal igloo over it.. Come back in 5 minutes and blast with the hair drier.

In 2-3 minutes you have a raging inferno.

;);)

Re: Emergency Fire Starter

Ace hardware here ran out of propane bottles about 8 months ago...

Darn, there goes my suggestion. My younger-days pyro technique (yes, like many of us, I am astonished that I survived my youth) was to bend a coat-hanger so the hook would stick into the end of the propane bottle so I could hold the bottle with one hand and pull on the hanger with the other. With the bottle tipped down, one would get a blast of liquid propane with each pull. When aimed at an ignition source much fun ensued. Perhaps not as fun as George Goble had with his liquid-oxygen BBQ starting technique (

), but fun nonetheless.