slu

Hello from the California Central Coast

Yes. That is correct and the service is fast. Looking forward to hearing of your cooks.

In the beginning start your fire SMALL and slowly increase your temps.

If you over shoot the KK takes forever to come back down. It does exactly what you tell it. The heat sink is so good the temp just doesn't come down. That is how the low and slows go forever on one load of lump.

If you control the temp you can do low & slow at 220 or Pizza at 850.

Easy to get it up. Hard to get it down.

Welcome to the group.

Yes. That is correct and the service is fast. Looking forward to hearing of your cooks.

In the beginning start your fire SMALL and slowly increase your temps.

If you over shoot the KK takes forever to come back down. It does exactly what you tell it. The heat sink is so good the temp just doesn't come down. That is how the low and slows go forever on one load of lump.

If you control the temp you can do low & slow at 220 or Pizza at 850.

Easy to get it up. Hard to get it down.

Welcome to the group.

I appreciate the confirmation and the advice. This is going to be great learning experience!

Welcome Slu!! Glad to have you aboard - post pics of that new KK as soon as you can! What color did you order?

The color is the "New Rusty Mix." I haven't figured out yet how to attach the jpeg file. But will do so when I get over the brain fart!

slu where are you on the central coast? I have a place in SLO....My friend has a KK in SLo too....if you need some tips and are close let me know

I can use all the tips that I can get! I am located a bit further north on the central coast near Monterey. I have a friend in the Salinas area who has the "other" Komodo (one built when they were a good product made in Sacramento). I'm sure that he may be able to inpart some wisdom as well. How long have you had your KK?

Re: Santa Maria BBQ

So' date=' Slu, are you a tri-tip and pinquito bean bbq'er? Where exactly you located?[/quote']

Hello Michael. I am in the Monterey area. Tri tip will definitelly be on the menu, but I suspect that I'll have a wide range of interest, from pizza to suckling pig!

Re: versatile

Of course you would cook everything, but I just wondered if you were heavy into that Santa Maria Q sub cult. Saw a whole show on Food Network once about the Santa Maria thing.

http://lospadrescounty.net/et/smbbq.html

Miichael,

After reading the recipes in the link, I suspected a Basque or Potuguese influence. Apparently it is the latter. I grew up in California's Central Valley where there is a substantail Basque influence dating back to the early sheep industry. Living on the coast now, there is more of a Portuguese influence. By chance I was in a produce market in Monetery yesterday and happened across some very fresh looking small pink beans. I suspect they might be the pinquinto beans mentioned in the article. I bought some to try. Unfortunately I was unable to determine the source, but I will find out.