kravnh

What adhesive to use?

Keith,

Save yourself the money - That polder plug was never glued in with any adhesive. It is designed to be removed so you can put more/less probes through the hole based on your needs for each cook. Also, the polder plugs wear out. You don't want to be cutting out the old to make room for the new!

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is, the polder plug on my KK has adhesive on it. I can see dried adhesive around the plug now that it is out of the KK. Also, it rests in the hole very loosely; so loosely, that the wire of a probe is enough to knock it out. Just removing the cover (from Johnny) is enough of a jostle to knock the plug out. It seems that it is pretty ineffectual in its present state, but I don't want to, as you have pointed out, need to cut/scrape out the old plug if the current one wears out.

Is there any way to fasten it in there in a less-than-permanent fashion?

Thanks,

Keith

I am unclear why you would ever want to glue the plug in place. It is designed to come out so you can run the probe (or probes) through the hole. I guess you have poked a hole through your plug to run the probe through but it is a lot simpler just to pull the plug out, run the probe(s), and then loosely insert the plug again to close up the hole (doesn't need to be airtight). I have a curved probe and it is actually impossible to get the probe to the inside of the cooker without removing the plug completely.

JeffB, I didn't poke a hole through the plug. The KK arrived with the plug glued in, and a hole through it to run a probe. Isn't it reasonable to assume that, if it was designed to come out, it wouldn't have been glued into the hole in the first place? And, it wouldn't have a hole in it already? Perhaps this is one treatment that Dennis tried, that others on the forum don't have.

I have done no modifications to the plug. It simply came unglued, and will not stay in the hole without adhesive. I asked about suggestions for re-gluing it, or possibly replacing it.

I agree with those of you who have replied that don't like the idea of gluing it in place. But without adhesive, the plug falls out.

I took Firemonkey's advice and emailed Dennis; I haven't heard back yet.

Keith

Perhaps this is one treatment that Dennis tried' date=' that others on the forum don't have.[/quote']

This is probably what happened. Mine was not glued in place and the plugs Dennis sent me fit snugly and don't come out unless you pull them out.

While waiting for new plugs, perhaps you can use a high temp silicone to "build up" the plug so that it does fit snugly. I imagine you could mask off the outside of the cooker, line the hole with wax paper, put the plug in and tape in place, then inject the silicone from the inside. Wait for the silicone to dry and then pop the whole thing out and trim to length. You could probably build a plug from scratch this way although I have no idea how well the silicone would hold up over time. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks. It's been only 4 days since I emailed Dennis, so I'm not getting antsy yet. I don't know how long it typically takes him to respond, but I figure I'll give it a week, then try emailing again, give it another week, and then, if I still don't hear back, I'll ping JDBower to see if he still has any of those silicone plugs left...

over thinking a non problem

The plug is not necessary. You can just leave the little hole open all the time, with or without thermometer wires passing through it. The only possible problem might be that the small air leak could theoretically prevent you from shutting down the fire. You can just stick a cork in there, one that fits naturally or whittle down a wine cork to fit. Sometimes I stick a plug in there while cooking, sometimes not. I have shaved down a wine cork and cut a little slot to allow the wires to pass; don't need to use it though. The silicone plug from jdbower will fit right in there with the thermometer wires, it just snugs right up around them. Sometimes I plug it upon shutdown, sometimes not. Don't worry about it!!! It's a non issue.

I think it was DJ that made the plugs' date='using some hi-temp silicone and a socket.[/quote']

He did try using tube silicone to make some, but they would never cure properly. He ended up buying castable silicone and some kind if curing agent that goes with it. He drilled up some proper forms and made a big batch of them.

Last I heard, he still had a few left.

FWIW, the plug is absolutely not necessary. That port is not allowing enough air to make a difference in your cooks. For the first few years of KKs there were no plugs.