T Rex

EZ Que rotisserie

I did some quick research on rotisserie motors and stumbled on a site that sells AC motors which auto reverse their direction every time it stops turning. This site sells a DC motor which doesn't do that but will change its direction of rotation if you change the direction of the batteries. I'm off to sunny Spain for two weeks today so I don't have time to check out what my OneGrill motor will do if I put batteries in it and play around with them. Here is the site:

http://www.bar-b-que.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=868

Can anybody confirm that the E-Z Que motors turn in the right direction?

Susan

Fetz: To my unscientific and unmathematical mind, the motor I have now is going clockwise - if I'm standing to the right side of the KK behind the motor and watching it rotate. Isn't that the same as standing in front of the KK and it rotating toward the rear? Maybe I have an old model basket before they reversed the threads. Or more likely I just can't visualize this and I'm totally wrong. :eek:

Susan

Fetz: To my unscientific and unmathematical mind, the motor I have now is going clockwise - if I'm standing to the right side of the KK behind the motor and watching it rotate. Isn't that the same as standing in front of the KK and it rotating toward the rear? Maybe I have an old model basket before they reversed the threads. Or more likely I just can't visualize this and I'm totally wrong. :eek:

Susan

What you are saying makes sense (it also makes the rotation the wrong direction for the basket shaft) - visualize sitting inside the cooker looking at motor, it needs to turn clockwise from that vantage point or standing on the outside (on the right) where it would be counter-clockwise - the opposite of what you currently have.

...visualize sitting inside the cooker looking at motor

Alternatively, you can also just remove the motor from the cooker and look at the direction the square hole spins - plus your neighbors don't look at you funny as you're squatting in your cooker :)

...visualize sitting inside the cooker looking at motor

Alternatively, you can also just remove the motor from the cooker and look at the direction the square hole spins - plus your neighbors don't look at you funny as you're squatting in your cooker :)

Crap, why didn't I think of that... I should have mentioned to make sure you haven't started your charcoal before you get in also. :oops:

Greetings from "sunny" Spain, where its raining cats and dogs!! I was hoping to get some good pix of a huge paella being cooked outdoors at a nearby restaurant, which is their Sunday specialty, but I don't think so.

Thanks to Fetz and Amphoran for clarifying what way the rotisserie has to turn. I didn't know where the cooker (shaft) side was, although it makes perfect sense to me now, and I was looking at it backwards. I'm pretty sure the One Grill battery operated motor will turn the other way if I put the batteries in opposite as directed, which is very cool. Somebody like me would never believe anything would even work if you put the batteries in backwards!!I'll report on it when I get home.

Susan (All),

This was just DJ's experience but I thought it might be relevant to your discussions regarding your choice in Rotis Motors:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... r&start=30

Look for the "Drunk_J" post about half-way down the page when he says he got his rotis and motor. Read all the posts for this page and onto the next page. Good arguments to move away from the battery powered rotis motor and move to the AC Motor (50 lb.) I went this way and have been happy...

Hope this helps! (and yes, before anyone posts that this is about the rotis unscrewing - I get that. Just a friendly suggestion from a fellow KK'er about the motor choice) 8)

I have resolved the problem of the shafts unscrewing themselves by tightening up the shafts really well, as I have a motor that turns backwards. But I have been having the problem that the shaft from motor to KK (the one with the spring that goes into the square motor socket) occasionally slips far enough out that the motor socket no longer turns the basket. it seems that if I could decrease the distance from the motor to the KK by about 1/2 inch it would resolve the problem, but the bracket fixes that distance... Any thoughts out there? VRTom

Right motor for KK

Talked to John at Onegrill and the right motor (turns clock wise) is the 50# torque motor part no. 4PM15 price $49.95 + shipping of about $12. The 40# Torque motor turns counter clock wise. Placed my order today and should have it first of the week.

Re: Right motor for KK

Talked to John at Onegrill and the right motor (turns clock wise) is the 50# torque motor part no. 4PM15 price $49.95 + shipping of about $12. The 40# Torque motor turns counter clock wise. Placed my order today and should have it first of the week.

Of course, I just purchased the 40 lb....... :( Well, seeing as I have both the 6" and the 8" baskets, Dennis is sending me some extra shafts so I guess I will just have to make sure I get them good and tight! Somewhat disappointing, haven't even used it yet but no point in returning it for exchange as I had to pay big time shipping costs to the Island...... :x:x

T Rex

I spoke to Joe at OneGrill. I had ordered the 40 lb motor back in January. He offered to exchange it motor for the 50 lb, no problem, even though I no longer have the original packaging. He also offered to pay for the shipping, if I felt that I purchased the 40 lb motor due to being misled by him. I told him that no, he hadn't misled me at all, and I was happy to pay the return shipping.

Joe asked me to go ahead and post here to let everyone know that he will work with anyone who might have purchased the 40 lb motor and wants or needs an exchange. He seems like stand-up guy. T Rex, maybe you should give him a call...

I am seriously thinking of using some heat epoxy to permanently attach the rods to the basket....... ;)

You can try Loctite Blue - I don't know how it holds up under temperature but it's not permanent. If that fails you can upgrade to Loctite Red - but to separate the parts you'd need a blowtorch and some vise grips. Still, you may be better off just trying to change motors :)

OneGrill..... First Class people

Sooooooo, I contacted Joe at OneGrill about my problem... and here is his response:

Hi. Glad to help you guys out. If you send your 40# motor back. I will send you a 50# motor for $10 more and free shipping for the inconvenience. Thanks, Joe

- onegrill-bbq

Wow, I am still choked.... :D Since I live in Canada I have offerred to pay an additional $15 for postage, what a great company to deal with! :)

T Rex