mguerra

Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2

Re: Bronze Behemoth Game On! 2

We had a funeral Friday and I did a hot fast brisket. Last year we talked about Butcher Barbecue Brisket Injection. I believe it was Chris Lily telling about one of his recent comp wins. Anyway I injected with it and let the injection permeate for four hours, marinated in my standard beef marinade for four hours also, then applied a rub and put it on the fire. Absolutely the most juicy awesome brisket ever! Old-timers on the board here are sick of me going on about it, but for newcomers in the last year, the hot fast method is superior to a non-foiled cook. The injection really puts it over the top, however. The flat was as juicy and tender as any good point you have ever eaten.

Butcher Barbecue Brisket Injection. Use it.

I have another on the fire right now. And don't forget this trick, when it's time to foil, put the brisket in a disposable foil pan and seal that tight with foil. Makes it easier to remove from the fire and to collect all the juice. I got a full pint of juice from Friday's cook!

Got a pork butt and a brisket going simultaneously. The KK is set at 250, with some hickory smoke wood. When the brisket hits 160, I'll foil it. It's not a hot fast, but a hybrid cook. The brisket should finish before the pork butt, so the butt is on the middle grill level and the briskie up on the main. I injected the shoulder with Goya brand Mojo Criollo; and the brisket with Butcher Barbecue Brisket Injection. I have found that these really benefit from a LONG hold time prior to serving. I'll foil the pork, and along with the foiled brisket hold them in a cooler, wrapped in towels until tomorrows big six way family birthday bash. One thing I've noticed is that when you hold several pieces of meat in the cooler together, they stay a lot hotter, longer. Makes sense of course.

Regarding the injection, we commented before about using end hole needles versus side hole needles. If you use the side hole needles with the little round side holes, they will clog up if you have any solid particulates (spices) in the injection. And they are hell to clean out. So we use the end hole needles for these types of injections.

But I bought some Tony Chachiere injections that come with a cheap plastic syringe and a needle included. These needles have elongated side holes. You CAN use an injection with a little particulate in it with this needle. To be honest, these injectors work just as well as an expensive chrome/ brass injector, better if you factor in the above mentioned. So if you want a perfectly functional injector, even if you don't want the Chachiere injection itself, get one. The injection, with included syringe and needle, is a fraction of the price of a nice syringe and needle system.You can clean it and reuse it easily. Anyway you will like the Chachiere injections, there's bound to be one that suits you.

On the other hand if you really appreciate handling and using quality equipment, get a nice chrome/ brass injector!

http://www.alliedkenco.com/pump-brine-4 ... style.aspx

We made our first pizza in the KK today...sort of.

It was about 102 degrees here today. The KK sits out in the sun. Penny put the dough out in the KK to rise.

A novel but expensive proofing box!

Just made a luscious spur of the moment meal. Two racks of St. Louis with a heavy brown sugar/ fall spice rub, but the real kicker was the corn. I put three whole ears on the uppermost rack, with all the husks on, above the ribs. This was your standard four hours at 250 rib cook. After about two plus hours I took the husks off and returned the naked ears to the top grill to pick up some smoke. I melted some Irish butter in the micro, and then mixed in some garlic powder, fresh cracked pepper and smoked paprika. After taking the ears off the grill, I cut all the kernels off and put them in a bowl and slathered on the herby butter. Absolute heaven there. Everyone raved, all three of us! Me, Penny and one of my sisters.

That is a serious keeper corn technique!

Interesting side note.. Meathead from amazing ribs has a physicist running some experiments with heat and meat and found that the plateau is from evaporation and not from a cooling effect from the breakdown of nasties..

This absolutely supports foiling when the meat hits 160º.

This was determined by cooking a sponge and it also created a plateau..

;);)

Meathead from amazing ribs has a physicist running some experiments with heat and meat and found that the plateau is from evaporation and not from a cooling effect from the breakdown of nasties..

This absolutely supports foiling when the meat hits 160º.

I just saw this the other day, but from a different source, which I suspect is the original:

Modernist Cuisine's Nathan Myhrvold on Culinary Myth-Busting, Bacon, and Barbecue

And tons of explanations over the years as to what's happening and we've found they're basically all wrong. We found out what actually is right, which is that it's due to evaporation.

Nathan Myhrvold was CTO at Microsoft, and is spending his billions on a food lab that birthed the $625 five volume treatise Modernist Cuisine. I'm actually rather interested, though I think scientists make poor cooks, I don't have their "only book you'll ever need" mindset, and some reviews cite inexplicable errors in the first printings.

Also from Modernist Cuisine's Nathan Myhrvold on Culinary Myth-Busting, Bacon, and Barbecue

We've invented a technique we call equilibrium brining. Most brining starts with a really concentrated salt solution and then you soak the food in that for awhile, and that makes the outside way too salty, except the inside isn't salty enough. So then you soak it in water for hours to try to leach salt out. And it's all very inexact. So we came up with a way where you can basically do foolproof brining.

Hmm... I learned such a method years ago, from Paul Bertolli's 2003 Cooking by Hand. It isn't rocket science, one estimates the weight of water in the meat, and adds the right amount of salt to the brine water to reach a desired salinity at equilibrium. Salt divided by total water, not exactly e=mc^2.

So now "We've invented" reminds me of that famous Hemingway quote about Henry Miller,

He has sex in the afternoon, and he thinks he invented it!

I have my first tri-tip on the fire. No pinquito beans nor red oak, so it's not Santa Maria.

We're in Texas, so it's the de rigeur mesquite! I marinated it for a short time in worcestershire, soy sauce and garlic; then rubbed it down in a big load of fresh ground Madagascar pepper and Kosher salt with a little more garlic powder. Cooking indirect at 350, I'll flip it once, with a target finish temp of 135. I might give it a quick reverse sear. Stay tuned...

Wow. That was some of the most flavorful beef ever. Not particularly tender, but super tasty. The combo of the beefy flavor, salt, pepper, and mesquite was wonderful. Definitely a keeper. I might try to foil it after it hits 100 or something next time to see if that will make it more tender.

Doc, at what temperature are you pulling the meat? As you know, we cook tri-tip frequently here on the left coast. They are nearly always tender and moist. I usually do a reverse sear pulling it at 120, then grilling it for 90 seconds per side at very high heat. For a special treat, I'll even dry age it for 7 days making it even more tender!

Wow. That was some of the most flavorful beef ever. Not particularly tender' date=' but super tasty. The combo of the beefy flavor, salt, pepper, and mesquite was wonderful. Definitely a keeper. I might try to foil it after it hits 100 or something next time to see if that will make it more tender.[/quote']

The Tri Tip is all about making sure that you slice it against/at a right angle to the grain for tenderness.

Note that the grain direction also changes from one end to the other. This makes you really need to pay attention or cut it in two before you slice.. I've actually had to use a flashlight to see the grain sometimes.

When properly sliced thin, the meat will fall apart in your mouth.. Slice it incorrectly and you will be chewing more than you want to.. More or less cooking won't change anything unless you want to take it to stringy at 190º.

But an hour covered with sea salt will have those grains opening up to where they are about 1.8" deep. Looks like you have sliced it with a very sharp knife.

This is absolutely my favorite piece of beef.. I'm not sure if I like it hot or cold in the fridge the next few days better but a home run for sandwiches and salads..

;);)

I cooked it indirect all the way, no sear, til it hit 135 internal. It was perfectly done to our liking. It wasn't tough, but it wasn't tender. I sliced it properly. For leftovers tonight I sliced it real thin and it chewed a little easier. Delicious! I will be doing these again. And if SuziQ ever gets some pinquitos, we'll try those too.

I cooked it indirect all the way' date=' no sear, til it hit 135 internal. It was perfectly done to our liking. It wasn't tough, but it wasn't tender. I sliced it properly. For leftovers tonight I sliced it real thin and it chewed a little easier. Delicious! I will be doing these again. And if SuziQ ever gets some pinquitos, we'll try those too.[/quote'] It's my favorite beef flavor.. It important to pay attention to the grain when you start because it turns/changes direction from one end to the other making it more challenging to stay across the grain. We usually cut it first in two pieces, this makes it easier to deal with the grain change and then shoot for 1/3" slices. I buy them 5-6 at a time in big vacuum packed bags from the wholesaler. ;) ;) n66953

post-6370-1390823958_thumb.jpg