LarryR

Thighs Setup

I'll be doing about 13 lbs of chicken thighs tomorrow and I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on my setup. I was thinking of going direct on the main grate in two batches. I suppose I could go one batch but I don't want to drip grease on the sides of my new KK, I'd prefer to keep the drippings over the firebox.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I usually do mine on the upper grill, indirect, but there is no way you are going to fit 13# up there. If you were going to go indirect, you could do the main and upper grill, with the big KK drip pan on the lower grill. I dont usually use a drip pan, and just let the grease land on the deflector, then flip the deflector over on the next cook and one side is always clean. But 13# of thighs is going to make a bunch of burning grease smoke even if you do it indirect - might want to use a drip pan.

Otherwise...go for it! Any grease you drip in the grill will burn right off on your next steak searing!

A little more info . . .

The thighs will be skinless and I'll be splitting them into roughly two 6.5 lb batches for grilling.

So fire, you'd recommend doing them on the upper grate with a foiled deflector on the main grate for catching drippings? Would the skinless change anything here?

I havent done skinless thighs, but I would expect that removing the skin will also significantly reduce the grease. Were they not skinless, I would say use the heat deflector down on the basket handles, and just cook them indirect on the upp. Being skinless, I dont think the drip pan is as big of a concern, and you could probably go direct if you want.

Sorry I cant be more help. I cook lots of chicken, but always with the skin, and you definitely want a drip pan in that case to prevent all that grease burning.

skinless has way less fat, so your drip issues would be minimal. are they those IQF boneless/skinless kinds? if not already boneless, i'd bone them out, cut em up in chunks, marinate them and do chicken tandoor style skewers. or whatever floats your boat (how bout FM's lime marinade).

i'd setup hot and direct for kebabs and get them off the grill quick. skinless chicken will tend to dry out. if you don't marinate, consider brining them.

Pleased

For my first KK thighs cook I was very pleased with the results. Next time I'll rotate the pieces from the back to the front as I seem to have a hot spot in the back. Very moist and the flavor was great. We don't miss the skin at all.

Thanks for the tips!

Larry - I wouldn't count on that hotspot being in the back of your KK moving forward. Often times, a hotspot is just the nature of that particular load of lump. I have moved my guru temp probe all around the cooking area and very rarely do I find a cooler or hotter spot. Make sure that after you load your lump to pick up the basket by the handles and give it a couple of good shakes to settle all the lump evenly. You should get very consistent results using this method.