LarryR

BBQ Spatchcocked Chicken

Woke up this morning craving BBQ so after a couple of heavy meals I decided to smoke a couple of chickens. Made-up a go-to generic bbq rub, cut the birds and threw them on over some cherry wood. Bird on top was done in 4 hours, bottom in 5. Cooked around 235. Turned out great, moist, tender with a light cherry smoke flavor. Bird on the bottom was a little better as it was basted in the drippings from the top bird but both were great.

th_KKSmokedChicken1.jpg

th_KKSmokedChicken2.jpg

th_KKSmokedChicken3.jpg

th_KKSmokedChicken4.jpg

th_KKSmokedChicken5.jpg

You are correct sir!

Did in-direct with clay saucer over the fire and deflector sitting on top of that.

I use the clay saucer as I cannot bring myself to dirtying the stone that came with my KK, waiting for my clay saucer to fall apart then I'll dirty the stone.

Well, haven't done a spacthcocked chicken yet on the KK yet so I guess today is the day. I am planning indirect at a little higher temp than Larr..... with lots of Apple wood, will report back later.

Oh yeah Larr, fabulous cook, thanks for the pics. :)

T Rex

Re: You are correct sir!

I just wrap the stone in foil

Did in-direct with clay saucer over the fire and deflector sitting on top of that.

I use the clay saucer as I cannot bring myself to dirtying the stone that came with my KK, waiting for my clay saucer to fall apart then I'll dirty the stone.