Hephaestus

Chicken on rotisserie

When I got my KK, I just HAD to have a roti. That was 15 months ago and I only ever used it once...until tonight. That's 15 mos. of roti cooking I'll never get back! This has to be the best chicken I ever ate. I was too lazy to spatchcock, so I just got some pre-seasoned leg quarters, cranked up to 350, threw in some pecan, cooked direct, and voila. Took about 90 minutes. Perfection. I do not eat chicken skin, but this was so crisp and so much of the fat was rendered out, I ate some. The flavor concentration in that skin was outrageous. And the meat was so moist and succulent; the pecan smoke was sublime. Other times I grilled chicken on my old metal grill, it came out dry. If you have not been roti cooking, START TOMORROW!!!

rQ8eJ.jpg

iTG_0.jpg

Tips:

You cannot monitor your meat temp with the roti with a remote thermometer. Best to use a Thermapen because you want a fast reading when you open the lid to check. If you use a slow thermometer, the fire will get really hot really fast and fat will drip down and cause a flare-up. DO NOT just stick a meat thermometer in the chicken and leave it in there, like you might do in an oven. Because it will slide right out and down in to the fire as the bird rotates. That black stick got stuck on one leg because I dropped one piece in the fire while taking it out, and snapped the photo before I noticed it.

direct

To reiterate from another post, do your roti cook direct. This will give the great crisp skin. My only other roti cook was indirect, and that was not very good. Even fully cooked, the chicken was rubbery and the skin not at all palatable. And it took forever.

I cooked mine indirect as you can see in the pic to avoid any flare

ups. However, I removed the Aluminum tray for the last 15 minutes to get some direct heat. The end result was simply amazing. Super juicy with nice crispy skin without any burns. The yellow that you see, is from the saffron lemon marinate that we used.

Doc, how could you have gone through a year and a half without using your roti? It is one of my favor cooking methods.

Spatchcock chicken

For comparison, try brining the chicken in less (to taste) than 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar per gallon water, overnight, then "spatchcock" the chicken by cutting out the backbone and flattening it out bones down, skin up. Now cook on the upper grill at 450 F or 500 F or so. This goes quickly, be sure to check after 30 minutes and frequently thereafter.

Or, far more work, make Tandoor chicken.

It's great that the KK supports a rotisserie, but none of our experiments make us prefer the rotisserie to other methods. The KK is an awesome Tandoor oven, for example. Any gas grill can be a rotisserie.