LarryR

Basting or Mopping in your KK

I got a "hankering" for some roadside chicken today and have 5 lbs of skinless thighs marinading in the fridge as I type. So here's my question, I've always done roadside chicken on my kettle as part of the cooking process is to baste in roadside sauce every five minutes to build a nice layers of flavor. Taking this into consideration I've never thought to try it on Hestia (my KK) as I didn't want the baste dripping down into my cooker (it's a direct cook). Am I being overly cautious and will the sauce just hit the coals (Rancher briquettes) and turn into vapor or will it leak down to the bottom of my cooker?

Interested in others experiences in this area.

BTW, if you haven't tried the roadside chicken recipe posted on this site you're really missing out. The shit is addicting!

I don't baste often, just because the kk doesnt really need that kind of attention, but have on occasion mopped. Actually, I did some baby backs a week or two ago that I wanted to hit with some vinegar and apple while it was cooking. I just opened the cooker and squirted the juice and cider vinegar mix all over the ribs using a condiment squirt bottle. No problem at all. Whatever hits the cooker dries almost immediately, and anything in the coals is now smoke and flavor. I was using a HD but no drip pan on that cook too. No mess to worry about unless it a thick sauce.

Nothings going to make it to the bottom of your cooker, and even if it did, it's going to dry up in the hot ashes.

New Twist on Old Idea..

baby backs a week or two ago that I wanted to hit with some vinegar and apple while it was cooking. I just opened the cooker and squirted the juice and cider vinegar mix all over the ribs using a condiment squirt bottle.

New Twist on Old Idea..

I added some (frozen) apple juice concentrate and a little bit of water to white vinegar that made a great tangy glaze on my ribs..