T Rex

Baby Backs........

I found an old post where Dennis said he like to slather his pork ribs with mustard, than add the rub......... so I tried it. All the usual temps, etc....

Mustard and rub applied

20100717_1587.jpg

Looking good.............

20100717_1594.jpg

Resting

20100717_1600.jpg

Very nice ribs

20100717_1601.jpg

Something that I like to do when I do ribs is add two or three tablespoons of apple sauce to my BBQ sauce. Great flavor and interesting texture to the sauce. :)

T Rex

I do a rub first then lightly smear on the mustard.

The Idea being to get the rub into the meat and under the mustard..

The mustard keeps ribs moist and does create a bark..

My neighbor and I just did a joint venture rib cook off for 18 people.

I did 8 in the KK . She did 9 in her smoker..

18 people did 11 racks.. 6 left over to freeze..

I was able to actually get the 8 on by putting 5 in the rib rack (could have done more and 3 on the lower grill..

When it came time to foil, I put 3 on the lower , 3 on the upper and 2 more on the sear grill stacked on top.. Not a record I am sure but quite a

bunch.. Big lesson was serve everything.. Even the couple of burnt ends(I mean really burnt) went..

Different levels did cook a little diferently so I did rotate them some..

I found that the Dome temperature was 25 degrees hotter than the guru temperature on the first grill.. I know that the heat rises but I never had this happen before. Something about all that meat causes the temperature to stratify somewhat. You would think that the ceramic would even that out but not so with that much meat.

I usually do the ribs at 275 so I let the lower grate stay at 250 and the dome at 275 and just kept an eye on them..

THe party was a great sucess as we went through the ribs, 2 pots of jumbalaya, salads and uncounted bottels of wine and beer..

Dennis your cooker was an intergral part of a wonderful evening shared with a group of wonderful people.. That is what it is all about