rorkin

Best wood for Standing Rib ??

Apple in a Smoke Pot

I prefer apple for pretty much everything.

Have you experimented with a smoke pot?

Take a one or two quart cast iron dutch oven, drill three 1/8" holes in the bottom (so a misplaced chunk can't block the only hole), fill with chunks or chips, and seal on the lid with a flour, water paste. Nestle in with the charcoal, and start the fire under the smoke pot first, to get the smoke going.

I mix the flour paste in a small ziplock then nick a corner to squeeze out a bead. This is roughly what they do in Morocco to seal leaks in loose pots when steaming couscous, and much easier than it sounds.

This is modeled after how one makes charcoal, which is how I got the idea. Gases escape, but the wood isn't able to burn. One can partially simulate this with a smoke box meant for a gas grill, or aluminum foil, or by not bothering to seal the lid, but the key word here is partially. A smoke pot works best if there is absolutely no possibility of convection; I've never been tempted to cut corners, setting one up.

What one is doing here is selecting part of the smoke flavor. The absolutely easiest way that anyone can become a better cook is to create opportunities to exercise selection. Cutting the germ out of mature garlic, etc. Skyscraper food restaurants practice this to an extreme, which is how they create unimaginable flavors. The difference between moonshine and Armagnac or Brandy is selection in the distillation process, only keeping part of what goes through the still.

Same with a smoke pot. Taste both ways and decide for yourself. I'm not getting less smoke flavor, just different smoke flavor. Who else gets away with using two quarts of chips at a time?

Re: Best wood for Standing Rib ??

I did a standing rib a few weeks ago and felt the smoke flavor was a little much and overwhelmed the flavor of the beef.. I used Hickory and were I to do it again I would use less.. Anyone have a preference for apple or another wood for a rib roast ??

Just my 2 cents - For a standing rib roast I use straight Royal Oak. Also, I ensure that the KK is heat-soaked at my desired cooking temp before putting on the roast. Lastly, I only reverse sear my rib roasts. I will never sear first then roast again! Try it for yourself and I think you will like the results.

Just another 2 cents on smoke - make sure you wait for that billowy white smoke to dissipate before adding your meat. What you are looking for is a translucent blue-gray smoke. It will be very pleasing to the nose as opposed to the billowy smoke that burns the eyes and nose. It will typically appear about an hour after your smoke wood burns off a bit. 8)

Re: Best wood for Standing Rib ??

That is how I cook it as well.. Perhaps I was not clear..

I used charcoal with some soaked hickory chunks added.. I assume you mean straight royal oak charcoal. I scatter some wood

throughout the charcoal when I want a strong smoke and use a cast iron

smoke box wrapped in foil with a few holes poked in it for a lighter smoke..this is same process as the smoke pot just dont need to mess with the flour paste sealant. I was just looking for opinions on wood other than Hickory.. Many people use fruit wood on pork and I have never tried on beef

I did a standing rib a few weeks ago and felt the smoke flavor was a little much and overwhelmed the flavor of the beef.. I used Hickory and were I to do it again I would use lessh.. Anyone have a preference for apple or another wood for a rib roast ??

Just my 2 cents - For a standing rib roast I use straight Royal Oak. Also, I ensure that the KK is heat-soaked at my desired cooking temp before putting on the roast. Lastly, I only reverse sear my rib roasts. I will never sear first then roast again! Try it for yourself and I think you will like the results.

Just another 2 cents on smoke - make sure you wait for that billowy white smoke to dissipate before adding your meat. What you are looking for is a translucent blue-gray smoke. It will be very pleasing to the nose as opposed to the billowy smoke that burns the eyes and nose. It will typically appear about an hour after your smoke wood burns off a bit. 8)