Paswesley

Creosote Buildup

Does anybody know what creosote looks like? I do a lot of smokes using Cherry wood and hickory. I have noticed a shiny black coating on the inner sides and top, especially near the cap. Is that seasoning or flammable creosote buildup? Has anyone ever had the inside of their KK develop a creosote fire? Thanks

Never heard of a creosote fire inside a KK, but if you didn't have any shiny coating in your, I would accuse you of neglecting it!

A couple of people have had their damper tops get too gunky and stick shut after cooling because of the gooey buildup. They were both doing mostly low and slow cooks, with direct heat and no drip pan, causing much grease and creosote to collect. I think if you do a few hot cooks in there as well (roasting, pizza, steaks, etc) it will burn away most of your concerns.

My KK is so thick with tar you wouldn't believe it, and it sticks my damper shut every cook. I don't even use a gasket up there anymore. One time I started a creosote or tar fire by flaming the inside of my damper top with a Mapp torch to try to free it up. It took a lot of direct Mapp flame to do that, I don't think the normal cooking would ever set the tar on fire in a KK.

My KK is so thick with tar you wouldn't believe it' date=' and it sticks my damper shut every cook. I don't even use a gasket up there anymore. One time I started a creosote or tar fire by flaming the inside of my damper top with a Mapp torch to try to free it up. It took a lot of direct Mapp flame to do that, I don't think the normal cooking would ever set the tar on fire in a KK.[/quote']

Have you done a nice long high temp cook (like pizza) since the buildup got so thick? Did it burn away any of the goo? I would be tempted to let mine roll at 500 degrees for a whole basket of fuel if my top was sticking.

Re: Creosote Buildup

Does anybody know what creosote looks like? I do a lot of smokes using Cherry wood and hickory. I have noticed a shiny black coating on the inner sides and top' date=' especially near the cap. Is that seasoning or flammable creosote buildup? Has anyone ever had the inside of their KK develop a creosote fire? Thanks[/quote']

Wood not charcoal has creosote.. Your BBQ being less than 2 months old could not possible have a creosote buildup.. What you are seeing is probably just grease..

Mguerra's problem was mostly because he cooks or used to cook without a drip pan and when the fat was vaporized it stuck to everything on it's way out and builds up.. Not many high temp cooks added to the problem..

You're going to have to run hundreds of pounds of meat thru your KK to have this problem..

;)