Saison

Compare the OTB to the lil' Isla

I'm looking for some first hand experience of the important differences between the two cookers (forget the gas option, not interested:)).

I am thinking of buying a KK, but am not sure which unit would be the best. Maybe the 19.5" is better for a family of 3? How much can you load on the smaller unit? What's the biggest turkey, how many ribs, etc?

Having both, I'd say that if space isn't an issue the 23" would probably be a better bet. I haven't found any downside to the 23" over the 19"; it's only a little more expensive, no substantial difference in fuel consumption that I've seen, a few additional grate configurations are possible, and it's the perfect size for the Costco pork loins my family and friends love.

The 19.5" is great if you're putting it into a compact area and the smaller wheels help keep it in place with a smaller barrier (the 23" can roll right over some seams between patio blocks, the 19.5" needs a little more of a push). There's also some weight savings if you're putting it on a second floor balcony, for example. But fundamentally I'd recommend the extra space even if you're like me and frequently don't use it.

Only 20% smaller than the 23" but "feels" sma

What are the additional grate configurations with the bigger unit? Also' date=' is there square inch comparison on the cooking surfaces?[/quote']

The 23" has three grills/grids and four cooking positions, all 3/8" - 304 stainless..

The lower grill, sits about 7-8" above charcoal basket has a open from area to toss in wood chunks for smoking mid cook, it is 5" below the main grill.. The main grill sits 2.5" below lip.. Upper grill stands on 5" tall legs.. It can also be flipped over and set down on the firebox for high temp searing right down on the coals.. (2.5" above the charcoal with a full basket)

The 19.5" has two grills/grids and four cooking positions, both 3/8" - 304 stainless..

The upper grill in the lowest position with the handles down and legs up sits about 3" above charcoal and is 6" below the main grill.

The upper grill in the lower position standing on it's tall legs with the handles up sits about 5" above charcoal and is then 4" below the main grill.

The main grill sits 2" below lip..

Upper grill stands on 4" tall legs on top of the main grill in it's upper position.

The 19.5" on paper is only 20% smaller than the 23" but "feels" much smaller than that in person.. Most would guess 30% smaller. Can't tell you why.. In the furniture world this applies to 6' and 8' tables and buffets where the 8' seems soo much bigger.. can't tell you why.

Here are some pictures I took when I first got mine as well as some first impressions - I can try to grab some with both open when I'm at home and it's light out (which seems to be a weekend thing these days...)

viewtopic.php?t=2865

You can cook on multiple levels at once, it comes in useful when you have multiple items on the grill (for example, I frequently will throw on some corn or another side while the meat's cooking).