salix27

Very Sad Story + Photo. Need Advice.

Here is the deal

My Komado (actually a Casa-Q, which my be a knock-off?) has been in my family for 30+ years. Last summer, I came home from work and found my Komado missing. I eventually found it shattered in a dumpster in the alley behind my apartment. Turns out that the landscaper the landlord hired knocked it over while pruning. They both admitted fault and the landlord agreed to replace it.

What do these things cost?

What is an equal replacement to ask for? Do I ask for a big Green Egg? Should I just ask for a $1000?

the dumpster

Sacramento,CA

Re: Very Sad Story + Photo. Need Advice.

From the photo, that unit looks to be about BGE quality. Not extremely thick and the hardware looks like BGE'ish steel. So yes, you could just have him get you a BGE. Or take an equivalent in cash, and upgrade to KK!!! We would love to have you in the "club".

Re: Very Sad Story + Photo. Need Advice.

To be clear - you are welcome here as all fans of ceramic cooking are! By "the club" I am sure that Doc meant a KK owner!

Yours is a unique case as you literally had a working antique. The value is more to some... However, I am sure that you just want to get back to cooking on a ceramic grill. Click on this link:

viewforum.php?f=35

and scroll down to check out the other ceramic manufacturers out there. I am sure you will find enough information to make up your own mind as to what is best for you. You lost a ceramic grill and the quality was such that it was perfectly fine after 30 years. You should get a comparable replacement. If you do get the money and decide to go with a KK - pick a color your grandchildren will like!! The fact is, THEIR grandchildren may be cooking on that same KK one day!! 8)