Paswesley

Huge Christmas 2010 Cook!

Season's Greetings All!

Because I was dumb enough to let the family know how good Mable's food tastes, I have been asked to cook about 63 pounds of meat today. There is a 20 pound fresh ham (the uncured thigh of a hog), a 21 pound fresh turkey, and two 11 pound pork sirloin roasts. The sirloin roasts have been cut into chops that are still connected by about 1 inch of meat, so in reality the roasts are still in one piece. I have decided to cook all of the pork at once. The two sirloin roasts have been placed on the main grill, as can be seen in the picture provided.

post-6942-139082391211_thumb.jpgChristmas_Cook_2010_1.JPG[/attachment:1wu8e5xp]

The fresh ham has been placed on the upper grill above the roasts. Of course, the juices from the ham are going to drip down over the roasts, but I consider that to be a good thing. In effect, the fresh ham will be basting the roasts. Remember, the ham is the thigh, and has not undergone a cure process.

post-6980-139082391204_thumb.jpgChristmas_Cook_2010_2.JPG[/attachment:1wu8e5xp]

Christmas_Cook_2010_3.JPG[/attachment:1wu8e5xp]

I have already put on the pork. Mable was heat soaked at 325. The pork should be ready by 6:00 PM or so. The turkey will go on at around 6:15 and take about four hours- unstuffed.

I will edit in pictures as they become available. I have decided to season the pork with my dry rub whcih I posted earlier in the week. The turkey will be seasoned similarly, with the addititon of fresh herbs from our patio (Thyme, Sage and Rosemary). Hope everything turns out as planned.

Re: Huge Christmas 2010 Cook!

Yes, I am cooking a little bit. (See earlier post) This year I talked the boss into doing 90% of the cooking a day early so she can have more time with the family. Saved a pan of dressing to cook tomorrow. (for the Christmas Dinner aroma)

My big cook is New Years. That is when I call the eight kids all together with their extended families.

Merry Christmas.

@mguerra:

An hour before I begin to wash the collards, I put the smoked ham hocks on to boil. That is so they will provide good seasoning and tenderness without overcooking the collards.

In a suitable sized pan, depending on how much is being cooked, I melt a 1/4 pound of fresh sweet butter, lightly salted. I allow the curds in the butter to brown to a tan color. Turning the heat way down to low simmer, I saute the ham hocks in the butter. After a couple of minutes on each side, I pour in sufficient water to cover the meat and bring it to a swift boil. Then set it to medium simmer for about an hour. Then, it's time to wash the collards.

I triple wash them. As a part of the washing, I toss out bad pieces and use kitchen shears to cut the leaves about every one inch up the stalk. When the collards are in the third water, I begin to transfer them to the pot. Bring the meat up to a full boil to help offset the addition of the cold collards. Add them gradually, so that the wather never stops boiling. I layer in seasoning as I add the collards. Use any good seasoning salt, such as Lawry's or McCormick's. Add about a tablespoon of sugar if the frost has not yet hit the collards. If the collards have been in a couple of hard frosts, then omit the sugar- you don't want them to be too sweet. Season to taste, cook to the degree of tenderness that you prefer, and try not to swallow your tongue! A few pieces of fried hog jowl, a baked sweet potato, a pan of bisquits and a heaping serving of collards is fare fit for royalty- says I!

More cooking pics.

I am holding the pork at 170 in the house oven, but I pinched off a piece and took this pic for you guys. I can't brag about my own cooking, so I can't say how it tastes! ;^)

I am also throwing in a pic of the collards. The turkey is at 129 degrees as this pic is taken. Mable is steady at 323 degrees. BTW: The family will arrive at ten PM. My wife is Filipino and their tradition is for the family to gather on Christmas Eve and have the Christmas dinner then. We eat around midnight, exchange gifts at 1:00, have a great time until 4-5 AM and sleep in.

Pot of Collards 12-24-2-10.JPG

Fresh Ham from Mable 12-24-2010.JPG

Turkey 12-24-2010.JPG

post-6845-139082391945_thumb.jpg

post-6845-139082391948_thumb.jpg

post-6845-139082391952_thumb.jpg

Well, KK family, I have put this cook in the bag. I have a few more pics to post. The roast pork thigh, which my Filipino relatives insisted on calling "lechon," was picked to the bone within about twenty minutes. I have provided an aftermath pic. ;^) We always show the pretty before pics. Well, think of it as an after picture. I have included a pic of the finished turkey. I forgot to photo the gravy, which I make into a creamy concoction with the consistency of Maryland's famed Cream of Crab Soup. The turkey was picked to the condition you see in the aftermath pic in about twenty-five minutes. Finally, there is a pic of the variety of native Philippine dishes to which I alluded in an earlier post.

I got to bed at 5:30 this morning. and got up around 10:45, so I am still a bit groggy. Admittedly, some rare imbibing of some of Canada's finest w-----y may be contributing to the general fogginess of my outlook. May I be forgiven for quoting humble Bob Cratchit, "It's but once a year, sir!"

We are expecting a full blown nor'easter tomorrow, so we are going to enjoy the blessings of God, hearth and home. Best Christmas wishes to all, and it was a great pleasure to share our good fortune with you. Thanks for all of the kind remarks about my humble dishes.

Turkey_Done_12-24-2010.JPG

[Christmas Feast_2010.JPG

Aftermath Dishes 12-24-2010.JPG

post-6845-139082391964_thumb.jpg

post-6845-139082391968_thumb.jpg

post-6845-139082391972_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks and for sharing our happiness.

@Loquitur: the dish closet to the camera is a Korean dish called Japchae (jop chay). It is clear rice noodles with mixed vegetables and bits of beef, chicken and seafood. The next dish is is thinly sliced prime rib au jus. Then there is plain rice and fried rice. The next two are dishes that my wife's older sisters made, that she can't recall the names of. Next to last is kare-kare. It is super tender oxtails with beef tripe and mixed asian vegetables cooked with peanut butter- oh, so tasty and my favorite. Finally, there is a dish of Philippine meatballs in a white sauce. We also had two desserts. One was a custard made with cream, rice flour and honey, resting on a base of caramelized raw sugar. Finally, we had a dish of mixed tropical fruits (jack fruit, mango, papaya, and jellied coconut meats) with tapioca in a cream of coconut milk base. If it is possible to become inebriated by food and fun, then we were all rip roaring drunk!

All the best of the season! Anton

Just wanted to add my .02, that was some feast for sure! Any one of those side dishes or all of them for that matter should be entered into the recipe section! You really added salivation to the salvation for the years end! Congrats on a project well done, anyone who saw your post wishes they were there!