bwright

Introduction, a bit late and my new love

I got my blue KK Lil' Isla for my birthday in 2010 (actually got it just before Thanksgiving though the actual 79th bday was a bit later. I have been a Kamado fanatic for what must be nearly 35 years. I started with an original Imperial from Pachinko Palace. I eventually bought two more of these as I had cracks in the original and somewhat broken firebox. The old "don't pay attention after first lighting it with newspaper and thus getting it so hot that it cracked big time" game played itself out with both of the "newer" ones. I went back to the original which was actually a much better Kamado and used it, eventually replacing the firebox. I was still using it when the new KK came. I simply couldn't bring myself to put my old friend away so it sat there unused until last Saturday. One of the replacements whose top had cracked and I had fixed it with epoxy and kiln cement also sat on the deck. I offered the newer one (the more seriously damaged but fixed one) to a friend who had been my student back when I got the first one. I was worried about getting it loaded in his vehicle so I tried taking it apart. When I got to lifting the firebox it broke into pieces. So I offered him the original instead if he would take both away. In spite of my nasty orders not to try to lift the firebox from my old beloved original he did it and, as I predicted, it too broke into several pieces. He pledged to glue it all back together. But I found that the Kamado King now sells the Imperial as well as parts for them so he has now ordered a new firebox. I noticed that the Kamado King's website gets a bad review from my browser protection. Does anyone have any experience purchasing from him?

In any case I am a real Kamado fan and now committed to the most beautiful thing in my life, after my dog and wife. Come to think of it, she is the second wife (the first one threw me and the old Kamado out years ago) and much better than the first. (The dog is another matter). Maybe the new Kamado love will follow suit.

By now I have used it for chicken, duck, goose, steak, pork roast, smoking trout, etc.

My most happy surprise is how easily I can grill a steak, top up with the smaller grill on the lower level. I had long ago given up on the Imperial for this purpose so I am thrilled with this new possibility. Maybe I can also get rid of my old friend the cast iron grill too.