DennisLinkletter

How To help.. Chuck Tenders?

I was going thru the meat fridge at a large commercial market that caters to mid to low end hotels etc here in Bali..

They now have an imported meat area and I saw a couple of vacuumed bags of Chuck Tenders. The name sounded familiar and the price was right so I grabbed two thinking I've read about them somewhere..

Now I can't find where I read about them..

Anybody have any ideas what I should do with these?

;);)

Re: How To help.. Chuck Tenders?

Interesting! I had never heard of Chuck Tenders. A quick Google search did find the below slow cooker recipe. Not what I had in mind (thinking chicken tenders), but what the heck I'll post it anyway.

BRAISED CHUCK TENDERS OR BEEF SHORT RIBS IN A SLOW COOKER

(Dr. Meats From Holiday Market, Royal Oak, Mi.)

Add 1 t. liquid Maggie seasoning, 1 t. Kitchen Bouquet, 1 t. crushed garlic, 1 t. seasoned pepper to 1 c. dry red wine and mix. Add 1 medium onion sliced thin. Pour over 1-3 lb. chuck tenders* in a slow cooker and cook 8-10 hours on low. If you need to cook in an oven, set temperature to 325°, cover and cook 3 hours. Or you can cook in a Dutch oven on top of the stove: simmer for 3-4 hours.

* You can use bone-in or boneless beef shortribs instead of the chuck tenders. The tenders shoud be 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 2 inches thick.

OK the picture is what we call a "Scotch Tender" or Scotties. There is a cut that is also called a chuck tender, it's the teres major muscle. It has a little bit of silver skin in the ends, and once trimmed are fantastic when grilled. Very rich flavor and tasty! I will take that little piece, about the size of a pork tenderloin, cut the tips off(save for stew) and make one or two butterflied steaks, wrapped with bacon and grill them. I have been calling them Gross Point Filets, only because I had to call them something, and our store is in a part of Wilmette that was one time called Gross Point, Illinois until prohibition wiped out all the taverns(every other building I think). Thank you so much Northwestern University and Women's Temperance Union! That's the second time in a week you've seen mention of Northwestern University in print...quite a splash in the headlines over a certain live demonstration! I'll never look at my Sawzall the same way again!

Wow, I went from grilling to live sex demonstrations in one paragraph! Sorry. I have never tried to grill the other chuck tenders(Scotties) I Do use them for stew meat, and also for making ground beef, very lean! Like I said the teres major muscle is extremely tender, on the lines of the flat iron, also makes great stew meat and we have actually used them for kabob meat after they have been "jaccarded"( a great tenderizer available for home use for some time now) Is there a way to send pics directly to the forum? like I can do for facebook? I can get some shots of them fast.

I don't think I really answered Dennis' Question on how to prepare them, and it's simple. Try to trim the silver skin and any pieces of meat that look like it may be from another muscle, it should separate easily. This cut lends itself well to being marinated, but doesn't have to be, think of it as a pork tenderloin, and remember, as with the pork tenderloin, it does not have to be well done;in fact if it is it may be a bit dry and chewy. Dennis your gonna really like this cut, I don't know the quality in Indo, but here I wouldn't buy less than choice, if you do DEFO marinate it or brine it for a few hours.

Here are the photos of what I got.. $2.34lb or 5.3lbs for $12.50 Much less than I'm used to paying here for anything that ever walked. fetch?id=66738fetch?id=66739fetch?id=66740

I don't remember anyone ever posting about brining beef.. What's the twist/secret here? Is the marinade for flavor or to add actual moisture ala brine? So should I cook this like a pork tenderloin to 140º or slice it into steaks and grill it? Or should I cook it like a tri tip? Ahh I love new cuts of meat to play with.. I also bought a Peking-ish Duck to roti.. Dave.. THanks for the tip.. to upload images just click on the Upload Attachment button located on the lower left side of the post screen.. Then The Choose File button, Add the file and finally Place inline button..

post-6370-139082392512_thumb.jpeg

post-6370-139082392516_thumb.jpeg

post-6370-139082392518_thumb.jpeg

Ok, those are scotties, you have to treat them a little differently. First trim the outer silver skin, then you will notice at the broad end a section of sinew that will run the length of the tender through the center. This must be removed nearly completely or you may as well try to eat an inner tube. this will not be as tender as the teres major muscle. I don't have any experience grilling this, it is an incredible cut for stew, or chili, or soup. If you were to braise or roast it whole,untrimmed as a pot roast it's also equally fabulous. this is the same cut as the meat than lies under the bone called the horn on a pork butt. I think that's what it's called, I just call it the shoulder blade bone. You know how tender that can be when BBQ'd!