bri134

First Cook

Re: First Cook

Ahh you're killing me.. I really love flank steaks.. and that's a nice big thick one too...

So was that 45 seconds then turn 45º for another 45 seconds to get those to the degree perfect hatch marks?

Talk about picture perfect grill marks... Flawless.. next time please get a shot of those hatch marks in your KK..

;);)

I'm still a fan of doing a reverse sear to get the meat's texture completely uniform instead of more well done on the outside and less so dead center..

Any chance your meat was not completely at room temperature when you cooked it? There seems to be a lot of contrast between the outside and the middle..

I've found that can happen when I don't leave it out of the fridge long enough.. I'm fine with that as I'd eat good beef raw but my wife will harp on me..

;);)

Ahh you're killing me.. I really love flank steaks.. and that's a nice big thick one too... So was that 45 seconds then turn 45º for another 45 seconds to get those to the degree perfect hatch marks?

Talk about picture perfect grill marks... Flawless.. next time please get a shot of those hatch marks in your KK..

;);)

Thats right Dennis, 45 secs, then a 45 degree turn for another 45 seconds. Flanks are one of my favorites tas well, and it seems like other people are discovering how tasty they are too - they're $9.99/lb at the Wegman's near my house, which is outrageous, but thankfully Cosco's prices are still reasonable. End of the day I think I'd take a good flank or tri-tip over just about any other piece of the cow. Next time we do a steak Ill get pics of the meat on the searing grate.

Any chance your meat was not completely at room temperature when you cooked it? There seems to be a lot of contrast between the outside and the middle..

I've found that can happen when I don't leave it out of the fridge long enough.. I'm fine with that as I'd eat good beef raw but my wife will harp on me..

;);)

Yeah I likely didnt leave it out long enough, it was in our second fridge which tends to run a little cold, but we were really looking forward to this steak and cook and I probably rushed it a little. While this particular piece was a little of the rare side of medium rare, thankfully the wife is like me and doesn't mind it.

I rubbed it with a combo of sugar' date=' salt, garlic and cumin. It was like buttah :)[/quote']

I gotta try some Sugar.. I'm guessing the high heat caramelizes and also helps give you those serious grill marks..

Are we talking about one tablespoon per side?

;);)

For most of my rubs I use a ratio of 2:1 sugar to salt. For this one I use 1 tbsp dark brown, 1 tbsp raw/turbinado sugar, and 1 tbsp kosher. The cumin and garlic were maybe a teaspoon's worth each. Not all of it was used, maybe 2/3 of the whole mixture, itll depend on your taste and preference.

When I get lazy Ive also used a mix of sugars and some greek seasoning in place of salt, still tastes delicious :P