jnoble

are cloth awnings over a KK ok?

So I am rebuilding my deck while awaiting arrival of my KK.

This post is about cloth awnings above a KK. I want a cover over that part of my deck where I bbq. Does not have to be big, just enough to cover a KK and a small wooden cabinet that holds the necessary gear.

I think an awning would suffice, rather than constructing a full structure with a solid roof. And what I would REALLY like is to have a retractable cloth awning made from the same cloth that John Edwards is using to construct my KK cover.

But I have heard that the smoke and grease and ash may create a buildup on the cloth that you have to use on a retractable awning.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks

John

awaiting his 23, 2.4 Metallic Bronze.

Re: are cloth awnings over a KK ok?

Thoughts' date=' suggestions, ideas?[/quote']

I'd go ahead. I can't believe you'd actually destroy the awning. If it got a bit dirty, you could clean it. A clever choice of color could help, but I'd be more concerned with the sun and heat consequences of different color choices.

Somehow I don't imagine there were many marital spats in teepees over this issue. The fire was just too important. Same with us.

The much-touted advantages of a KK probably help a lot here. I really can't remember the last time my KK billowed smoke. Insulation and efficient fuel use and all that.

I guess my reactions are "less than you'd think" and "why do you care?"

Depends...

Is your insurance agent going to be coming over for a cookout?

More seriously, i think you are fine. Like Syzyzgies said, your KK is not going to radiate a lot of scorching heat. Even if you use a ton of smoke, its not going to rise straight up to the awning. Even in the slightest of breeze, the smoke is going to be blown away before it reaches your cover - assuming your cover is up high enough, and doesnt contain deep side walls.

How high up is it?

I'd definitely give it some thought. I agree with the other that you should be fine with general use, but there have certainly been a few times that my KK is shooting sparks while getting up to a high temp. I doubt it would catch on fire, but spark marks probably wouldn't be welcome either.

Personally, I wouldn't want to think about my awning every time I open the lid. Are there any other materials you can consider? Luckily Sunbrella isn't insanely expensive so maybe you could give it a shot and see how it works out.

I have a similar awning (not over the KK) and the one piece of advice that I would give if it's fixed is to give it a slight angle if possible.

I was joking of course with the umbrella hat.

If you just need sun protection, you can try a sail shade, here's one:http://www.patioshoppers.com/products/Kool_Kolors_9_10_Triangle_Shade_Sail-1572-0.html

If you want rain protection as well, you would need an awning. Same website has a bunch. We have some of their patio umbrellas, they are pretty good product.