bri134

Tri-Tip

Tritips are without a doubt one of my absolute favorite pieces of beef. This one was about 3.5 - 4 pounds, I rubbed it with some brown and turbinado sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and ground fennel. Like everything else I throw on the KK, it was fantastic and didnt last long :Pfetch?id=68194fetch?id=68193

Re: Tri-Tip

@Saison - the dome temp was about 450-500, put it on at room temp and took about 7 min per side. Pulled when thickest part was around 120-125.

Quedog luckily the commissary here at Ft. Meade usually always has a good amount of cryovac'd tritip roasts on hand - I find them at Costco at times as well, but most of the time theyre already cut into steaks.

With a Tri Tip remember it's really important to cut the slices across the grain..

Sometimes it's difficult to see after it's cooked so a mental note needs to me made when starting..

Will need much less chewing..

;);)

Tri Tip is our standard sandwich meat around the house here..

I add rub in 6% salt and garlic salt by weight.. easiest to do this with a gram scale, then wet with just a bit of olive oil for stickiness add black pepper, and rubbed dry parsley.

I smoke it at about 280ºF until it hits 125º and then sear it at 550-700º about a minute each side for marks and flavor.

This gives you a very uniform texture/color from top to bottom and an extra boost from the smoke..

This reverse searing works great for thick cuts like this..

;)

Yea Dennis, you're absolutely right, and usually I start at one end and work my way to where the grain turns, then start from the other. This one was a little weird, and I didn't even notice it until your post, because it looks like in the pictures I sliced it with the grain instead of across. I wasn't paying attention as I was eating it either, and couldn't tell a difference in tenderness.

Yea Dennis' date=' you're absolutely right, and usually I start at one end and work my way to where the grain turns, then start from the other. This one was a little weird, and I didn't even notice it until your post, because it looks like in the pictures I sliced it with the grain instead of across. I wasn't paying attention as I was eating it either, and couldn't tell a difference in tenderness.[/quote']

Sounds silly but I've had to resort to using a flashlight across the surface to see the grain on pieces before.. After they plump up from cooking the ridges are difficult if not impossible to see.

;);)

Try the reverse sear.. It's the easiest way to get consistent results.

The SousVide Supreme Demi is $299. Vacuum pack any piece of meat and simmer for an hour at 134 F (medium rare) or any internal temperature you choose, to the degree. Then get the KK raging to finish before serving. This is how restaurants have been doing it for years. Same idea as (the inspiration for?) the reverse sear, with pinpoint control and no issues swinging the fire low to raging.