MadMedik

8 Pork Butts/shoulders on the KK

Wish me luck... I have just put on 8 pork butts, average of 4 1/2 pounds each....about 32 pounds of meat.

3 or 4 for lunch crowd at work...training and lunch...then what ever is left...at least 4 of them, to a great employee who is feeding his family Friday night. They all in town for a family funeral, he needs the food.

I hope it all cooks well...Stoker monitoring the temps so that should be good. It is 10:30 pm now. Hope they are done around 8 or 9am, sooner or later ok...just need to be done by 11am...

Re: 8 Pork Butts/shoulders on the KK

Hey fcnich, i split them up....4 on the main and 4 on the top. I tried to put some of the bigger ones on top...some say it gets hotter up at the top. One thing to caution you though, the one that was in the six o'clock position on the top was "speared" by the dome Thermometer. Once closing the lid, I noticed the dome temp was not moving, stuck at less than 150....when just prior it was at 230-240. After several minutes, the gauge had not moved. I opened the lid and low and behold, the point of the thermometer was dirty with grease/rub from the pork and there was a hole in the pork. I had to move that piece a bit so as not to impale it any longer.

I am relatively new at all this as well, but 8 pieces seemed fine. I still had a lot of space/room between the pieces of meat so the air/heat could flow nicely around all the pieces. Had i attemped 10 or 12 pieces...that may have been a problem.

Perhaps others could speak on "crowding the meat too close together"....and how that affects even air flow and cooking???