LarryR

Back to Pizza's Need Duration Advice

Going to try homemade pizzas again using a recipe a buddy with a BGE has been having good success with lately.

I'm going to do four 12" (approx.) pies between 600 and 650 degrees. Here's my question; at that temp, do you think a full load of lump will maintain my target temp (including recovery time between pies) long enough to finish four pies.

I also have the option of mixing in some Rancher Briquettes if that will help extend the cook.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Re: Back to Pizza's Need Duration Advice

I cooked three pizzas last weekend at 650 on a full basket of Royal Oak lump charcoal. I was curious how long the KK would maintain that temperature, so I just decided to let it go and time it: got tired of watching the tru-temp needle never budge from 650. After 3 hours, called it a night and hit the sack. Dennis has engineered a fantastic grill. Hope this helps.

Dana

High temps and charcoal size

As we all know there are only two factors when it comes to temperature, fuel and air.

For high temps it essential to get lots of airflow, emptying out a bunch of smalls and the powder from the bottom of a bag will completely cut you airflow..

It's important to use medium and larger pieces..

You can pour your smalls on the very outside of the basket to get longer burn times if doing a long high temp pizza cook but make sure you leave the middle open for lots of airflow.

Remember high temps require a lot of BTUs and this will chow thru your fuel.

The harder/denser your charcoal the longer it will last.

;)