DennisLinkletter

From Fresh to Ham at Home...

I've cooked a lot of piggy.. I've over brined ribs and ended up with a ham-y tasting rib but never actually made a ham from scratch.. I found one of Syzygies posts about how to calculate brine..

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

I assumed the 14 lb bone-in was 70% water, I then made up brine at 3% of the total. I then put the meat and brine along with about a cup of chopped chipotle chilies and about a cup of maple syrup into a food service bag. Then filled it half way with water and put a brick sized block of ice into the cooler.. I had three of these and would swap them every 10 hours or so.. I brined for 4 days, rinsed and let equalize for a day..

IMG_0251.jpg

Put it in indirect at 225º with a big tin foil pouch of coffee chunks..

About 6 hours later it was 150º.. I cranked it up to about 400º for 20 minutes.

IMG_0266.jpg

I then pulled it and let it rest. 20 minutes later I checked the internal temp and it was 165º Perfect! ;)

IMG_0267.jpg

I went next door and came back to find my son and wife had trimmed off some thin slices and it was hemorrhaging and loosing lots of beautiful piggy juice.. :eek::eek: I turned it up so the missing meat was on top and it seemed to stop the juice loss..

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

We broke it down into the three muscle groups and then put it into the fridge so we could slice it cold the next day..

IMG_0278.jpg

t was beautiful looking as well as tasting to say the least...

IMG_0282.jpg