Loquitur

Flashback

I had major flashback issues going on last night. My cook was delayed because a friend stopped by unexpectedly. By the time our visit ended it was getting dark and I was in a hurry because I wasn't set up for a cook in the dark. I had two really nice rib eyes and to get the KK up to my preferred sear temp quickly, I opened the rear door in addition to having the front door, wheel and top damper open. I put the steaks on when the tel tru was 450 but forgot that the rear door was open. After a minute or so, I glanced at the tel tru and it was up to 650 which reminded me that the rear door was open. So I shut eveything down and and went to open the lid to remove the steaks until I had control of the fire. Knowing it was really hot in there, I cracked the lid just the slightest bit and the fire flashed - so I closed it immediately. I kept trying every minute or so but as soon as I cracked the lid, the fire continued to flash. This happened about 7 or 8 times before I could open the lid without a flash. Needless to say, my steaks were incinerated and went straight in the garbage. I didn't have much charcoal in the grill when this happened - just two Weber baskets full pushed together sitting on a brick to bring the coals close the surface of the sear grate.

I'm thinking now that I exacerbated the situation by flooding the fire with oxygen each time I tried to open lid. Is this right? Is this a problem with hot fires and pizza making? What is the recommended course of action when the fire is out of control in this fashion?

Susan

Re: Flashback

Ribeye steaks are well marbled with fat (fuel for combustion). Because of this, its the one steak that I won't sear with the searing grill (inverted dome grill). I find that the fat from this cut renders quickly and combusts at relatively low temperatures. If you find yourself in this situation again, close off all intake oxygen but leave the top wheel open to exhaust the heated gases. The temperature should come down. If this doesn't work, close the top as well, and just let the KK cool completely. DO NOT open the KK in the latter situation, you'll end up with a mini backdraft.

In the fire service, "flashback" does not exist. There is flashover, which is what happened to the steaks, and there is "backdraft," which occurs when oxygen is introduced at fire level to super heated gases in a contained atmosphere.

I'm sorry for not describing this better but there are some perfect pictures of it on the internet if one of our high tech members would be so kind as to post it for me. I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and don't have a clue how to do it. To find it, http://www.greeneggers.com, forums, green eggers forum, type in flashback in the search box, First "Flashback" 4/6/2011 (the first result of the search), photos are by Photo Egg 4/7/2011 and its the second and third pictures. That is exactly what was happening except I was afraid to open the lid that high. As soon as I opened it a half inch or so and saw the bright orange light, I closed it and repeatedly tried again after a minute or so. It really scared me!! I've made lots of rib eye steaks on the KK before, albeit not as nice as these, and they've always come out perfectly. It broke my heart to dump them not to mention my poor husband had to deal with my hysterics!!

Susan

While frightening, the puff of flame is short lived. That is, it's just a burst if flame as you introduce enough air into a air-starved fire. After the little mini-Mushroom cloud passed, you can just reach in and tend to your cookl as normal. This is a good lesson in why you should always "burp" your cooker when you have recently choked a hot fire. Upon first opening, open the lid slowly a couple of inches, and you can sometimes hear the "whump" of the fireball contained in the cooker. After that whump, continue as normal.

There's no need to sacrifice a meal.

loquitur, to avoid flashback, just open up the vents and let the fire burn off all the accumulated gases that need oxygen to be consumed. After 10-15 seconds, you should be able to slowly open the lid without doing any burping or having any more mini-flashbacks. And of course, for a view of some good flashbacks, there is this:

Oh yeah, Whiz - that's it!! And you don't need that high a heat for it to happen if you have nice rib eyes standing by. Love the video - especially the music. You are indeed a man of many talents!!

Thanks to all of you for responding. I didn't realize the burst could be short lived if handled properly. If it happens again, probably more like when it happens again, I'll be prepared and not so afraid. Actually, I was cool, calm and collected while this was happening. It was afterward when I brought the steaks in the house that it really hit me.

Susan