Skkyhawke2

Newbie question: Difference of KK and BGE

Re: Newbie question: Difference of KK and BGE

One could ask the same question of a Rolls Royce and a Mercury Marquis. Both of these vehicles are fine examples of an automobile and each one has it's customers. When it comes down to what makes the Rolls cost ten times more than the Mercury, it would be due to the huge qualitative differences that exist between the materials, labor and man hours that go into making a Rolls as compared to making a Mercury. For example, it takes hours to make a Marquis and months to make a Rolls. Also, all of the parts of a Rolls engine are hand machined from solid ingots of high quality metals, as compared to pressing and stamping. It could go on and on. As is the case with this comparison, a similar comparison can be made between the KK OTB and a BGE. There are huge qualitative differences in materials, man hours of skilled artisan labor, and aesthetics. The cutting edge engineering, outside the box design, quality differential in materials, fit and finish, and love (yes, love) that go into a KK simply put it into a class by itself. Visit Dennis' specifications page and marvel. There are also links in the forum that allow you to peek into his manufacturing process. The KK is so over built and quality engineered that it is awe-inspiring. Trust me when I say that photographs do not do the KK justice. I have stood in close proximity to a BGE. I had no visceral reaction to the BGE. When I first took the wraps off of Mable, I was overwhelmed. A KK is a beautiful sculpture that one can cook on. I am not a wealthy man, and it was a stretch to justify buying a KK. However, I am so satisfied that I would unhesitatingly do it again. In my humble opinion, the KK is, if anything, under-priced.

Re: Newbie question: Difference of KK and BGE

Kamado is a Japanese word for an earthenware cooking vessel. There are many Kamados on the market, Primo Kamado, Imperial Kamado, California Kamado, the Big Green Egg is also a Kamado.

These other Kamados are all basically glazed ceramic pots with hinged straps and airflow control components. They have a large firebox which protects the glazed outer body from the high temps from the charcoal. Generally they have very low quality fabrication and materials. Primarily using powder painted carbon steel components and grills, these components are pretty much at the bottom of the quality index.

About 8 years ago, I started on the Komodo Kamado project. We took the product in a radically new direction from all the other companies by using the worlds most durable materials for high temperature containment, refractory cements. We then took it one step further by adding two layers of actual insulation. This along with casting the straps into the body, making it self opening, using the finest methods of fabrication and only 304 stainless steel put Komodo Kamado into a class of it's own.

Just the weight difference tells the story. Typically glazed pot ceramic grills weigh about 140-150 lbs total.. In comparison, the KK has a a whopping 82lbs of 304 Stainless steel and weighs 588lbs..

There is also a huge difference in performance/heat holding ability which effects the food that comes out of the grill. Please take the time and read this review.. I'm embarrassed to say it's probably better than my website for the details.. Naked Whiz Review