DennisLinkletter

Los Angeles Port Closure - Union greed does it again...

I'm all for workers getting fair pay but in this economy I think it's absolutely asinine for for them to shut down the port.. You can imagine how pleased I was to learn that after my first four days of warehouse storage at the port they will be fining/charging me $200 a day for storage.. regardless of the reason. I'm guessing this is going to hurt..

The Associated Press

Published: Friday, December 2, 2011 at 6:35 p.m.

In a statement, members of the Office Clerical Unit of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 63 started picketing at noon Friday to protest wages and outsourcing of jobs.

The Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbor Employers Association says in a statement that it is disappointed workers are striking, saying the union's latest offer contains unreasonable demands, including a 12 percent pay hike, a 26 percent increase in pensions, 52 additional employees, and limits on technology that employers can use.

The employers say they offer guaranteed job security, current wages, health benefits and pensions.

From my Agent..

Subject: IMPORTANT-Los Angeles Port Closure

* IMPORTANT *

The Los Angeles port operations have been suspended due to a labor dispute concerning the clerical staff. This has come without any prior warning.

It began at the Yusen terminal and then spread to all other terminals with drivers being asked to vacate the port area and no entry permitted. There is no formal notification or announcement of a strike at this time but operations have been suspended.

Below is also a circular from APL that seems to speak about the situation, but not acknowledging the strike.

Date: December 3, 2011 7:15:23 AM GMT+08:00

To: "undisclosed-recipients"

Subject: OCU Work Action

December 2, 2011

OCU Work Action

Dear APL Valued Customer:

More than a year and a half ago, our company began negotiations for a new labor contract with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 63 Office Clerical Unit, which represents our office workers in the Los Angeles and Long Beach harbor area. No agreement was reached by the contract expiration date of June 30, 2010, and our office workers have been working without a contract for well over a year while negotiations continued. Last fall, the International ILWU officers and other ILWU locals joined the negotiations.

We recently presented a complete proposal for a new contract. The ILWU rejected our proposal. On Wednesday, November 30, 2011, the ILWU declared that contract negotiations were at an end, and that it would be “exercising its right to take economic action” against the company. The union did not specify the nature or timing of the economic action it would take.

Throughout this labor dispute, we have worked diligently to avoid any disruption to operations and reach a fair labor contract, understanding that harmonious labor relations benefit the harbor community and shipping industry as a whole. At this juncture, we would like you to know three important things:

1) We value your support and our longstanding business relationship;

2) We will continue to do everything we can to meet your service needs, without interruption; and

3) We have negotiated in good faith with the ILWU, and hope it will reconsider and accept our complete proposal for a fair and reasonable labor agreement.

As an industry, we are facing continuing challenges in this economy. It remains important to us to promote efficiency and productivity within our operations in the Los Angeles and Long Beach harbor area and to maintain the quality customer service you expect from us.

We will continue to keep you posted on developments.

For additional information regarding this matter, please contact your APL Account Manager or Customer Support via phone at 1-800-999-7733 or via email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

APL Customer Support

Re: Los Angeles Port Closure - Union greed does it again...

This is a perfect example of why I have no respect for labor unions of any sort. They protect the inept and incompetent - this is America, where you have every opportunity as the next guy to go out and make it on your own. Your only limiting factor is yourself and your ambition to succeed.

Or you can join a union and bribe them with a dues deduction from your paycheck, and in return, hope they provide you with job security, benefits, and inflated wages, and protect you from being held accountable for your own performance. If anyone has any question about how well unions work, they only need to look as far as Flint, Michigan (or anywhere near Detroit). As the auto industry collapsed, the entire region became swamped by unemployed workers, the vast majority of whom have no marketable skills or education. Thanks to the UAW these unemployed workers were used to making $40 an hour, and are now faced with the grim situation of working for $8, if at all! Gee, thanks UAW!

So if they will not let anyone in to empty the warehouse...sounds more like ransom to me! Put em on a rail and I'll find a warehouse for you!On second thought I better check with the other half of my "Union" first. You REALLY can't afford that fine!

Why is APL imposing a penalty on its customers irrespective of the labor dispute?

I believe it's the Port of Los Angeles who imposes the fines/late charges. My agent told me she's seen this happen in the past and it's a nightmare. They don't care why and they have you bend over the proverbial barrel.

The Port of Los Angeles is the #1 containerport by volume in the United States, in 2010 the port handled 7,800,000 TEUs/Twenty-foot equivalent container units. That's over an average of 21,000 per day. So I'll guess that Christmas season is at least 30,000 a day. If a 40" box is $200 a day. To keep things simple let's say a 20' box is $100, so they will be pulling in about $3 million per day..

Of course they don't care!

Smucks!

;);)

So a government agency, namely, The Los Angeles Port Authority, imposes a fine upon customers which has the practical effect of pressuring the companies like APL to settle with the union. That's disgraceful.

Great news Dennis.

In many many ways the unions have outlived their usefulness.

I’m very glad that things worked out well.

As I’m writing this I have a pork loin on the grill.

It should be ready this evening.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Warmest Regards

Jim & Marian