DennisLinkletter

Poll - Main and lower handle position/placement

The new Naked Whiz Review noted that they would like to see the positioning of the handles on the lower and main grids improved. I remembered that years back we had many discussions about this and I remembered while tight putting you fingers into the outside was do-able. When I went outside to my KK I found two versions, one where the curved handle was almost vertical and the other where they were angled into the grill. Looking back to early OTB images I found that the early handles were straight and angled into the grill. This gave one much more gloved finger room.

Sometime along the production evolution we made the handles curved and then at sometime the workers stopped installing them at the original angle. Could have been a new employee, not sure but today's production is definitely much more vertical and gloved fingers no longer fit easily if at all.

Here is the early straight handle.. The straight section gave one a couple of fingers worth of space.

post-7274-139082391244_thumb.jpgKK-GrillHandle.jpg[/attachment:1l20vbmq]

I took my current grill/grid and gave the handles a couple of small wacks with a small sledgehammer and was very pleased with the results. I hit them in the vertical part of the handle and it moved rather easily. I did this with the grill sitting on grass..

post-6370-13908239124_thumb.jpgKK-GrillMod.jpg[/attachment:1l20vbmq]

post-6823-139082391234_thumb.jpgKKGrillMOd2.jpg[/attachment:1l20vbmq]

While this is not how the grill can now be lifted it demonstrates how much space has been createdpost-6676-139082391225_thumb.jpgKKgrillMod3.jpg[/attachment:1l20vbmq]

The refractory body of the grill leans away from the grill/grid, this creates even more space for you hand as shown here. post-6942-139082391211_thumb.jpgKkGrillmod4.jpg[/attachment:1l20vbmq]

These shots from the Doug's grill shows that our current production had the handles has lost the lean and is very vertical. Definately less than ideal. Thanks for the head's up Doug.

post-6980-139082391204_thumb.jpgWhizGrill.jpg[/attachment:1l20vbmq]WhizGrill2.jpg[/attachment:1l20vbmq]

Re: Poll - Main and lower handle position/placement

Hmmm, this was a suggestion I made a couple of years ago and sort of got "blown off". I was told use gloves, etc.... Thanks Naked Whiz! I took a heavy hammer and fixed my concern by hammering the handles on the main grate towards the centre. Pretty easy fix.

SS

It seems to me that a simple height adjustment would solve this concern. Why not make the handles 3.5" tall? This way the handles will be above the KK lip, allowing plenty of room for fingered gloves to do whatever is needed.

Rick

I think Rick's suggestion for raising the height of the handles on the main grill might be the ticket. Also, slant the handles inward on the secondary grill. Like Syzgies, I have become adept at using the roti tools for lifting the hot grills.

They are usable as is, if not a little inconvenient. By being so far outboard they maximize food space. Would moving/ angling them in reduce food space significantly? I don't know. But just making them taller would sure make them easier to grab, without intruding on food space. So I'm with slu and rick on this one.

Dennis I agree, if you make the handles taller and NOT angle them inwards I would be afraid someone may get their fingers pinched if they try to place the grate on the cooker with a meat load on the grate(getting their fingers caught between the lip of the cooker and the handles).

I pondered this just yesterday as I used my KK for the first time. My thought was that you were trying to maximize food space which really impressed me but yes I had the same issues with making a good/safe hold when shuffling levels.

My immediate thought was not to move the handles but rather change the curve. What if instead of the curve matching the radial curve of the wall it is just the opposite, it curves in and not out.

This way would allow someone to have a good/safe pick up while allowing for maximized food space.

$0.02

Cleaning the main grill once again, I was meditating on how I never use the hinged flap, and it makes the main grill harder to clean. I'd buy a replacement main grill that had no flap, and was truly reversible: Sometimes I want to whale on it from both sides with a wad of foil or a green scrubbie. Now the flap just falls it, when the grill is upside down. Same if soaking in a water heater pan...

Cleaning the main grill once again' date=' I was meditating on how I [i']never use the hinged flap, and it makes the main grill harder to clean. I'd buy a replacement main grill that had no flap, and was truly reversible: Sometimes I want to whale on it from both sides with a wad of foil or a green scrubbie. Now the flap just falls it, when the grill is upside down. Same if soaking in a water heater pan...

I can honestly say I often slide my drip pan thru the hole as an indirect heat shield.. and then also remove it with tongs and gloves later while grilling. I've also bowled wood chunks into fires before. I'm happy to put up a poll.

It would be easy enough to tack it closed even tie it off with some wire..

;);)

My immediate thought was not to move the handles but rather change the curve. What if instead of the curve matching the radial curve of the wall it is just the opposite, it curves in and not out.

This way would allow someone to have a good/safe pick up while allowing for maximized food space.

$0.02

Great.. I like this.

I called the factory and asked them to make a sample.

;);)