DennisLinkletter

Charcoal basket - Sear grill modification

Here's a new twist/idea.. Three rings down there will be two removable 1/4" SS rod grates where the plywood is shown. They will be notched and sit in place effectively cutting the basket in half depth wise. There will be two half moon stainless sheets. One will be a complete half moon the other will have a hole cut for the sear column.. n68342 n68343 n68344 n68345 n68346 n68347

Re: Charcoal basket - Sear grill modification

That will work' date=' especially the ability to shorten the basket. How about also having a short vertical divider so you could sear on half the basket. If I am gonna sear stuff, it will for sure need more grill surface than the cylinder offers.[/quote']

I'm in Bali, I walked them thru this mockup on the phone..

My plan is to have a divider going down to the bottom of the basket dead center welded to the right side mid grate. This will let you fill the right half completely if you so desire.

The left side grate will have a center divider welded to it as tall as the charcoal basket. This will let you fill just the top half for searing.

Dennis,

Do you have experience with a "sear column"? My intuition is that a larger sear surface area would be more practical.

This column was inspired by this post "Grilling with minimal lump" And I've had people tell me that they cook for two and would like not to have to light the entire basket to sear two steaks.

I'm sure that if I cut off all airflow except what is being forced thru the column, it would be really responsive. Maybe make the sheet metal so that one quarter can have 3 inches of charcoal along with the column.

;);)

Grilling for two:

Fill the basket with lump. Start ONE HALF of a charcoal chimney of lump, this isn't much. And it is enough to cook for two. Once the chimney is raging, dump it out on the full basket and grill your meat. Your grilling does not take long, and most of the unlit basket of lump is not going to light nor be consumed. By the time your grilling is done, you will have a very hot fire to sear with. Sear briefly and shut down the KK. It will use very little lump, you don't need any special contraptions. This is a solution in search of a problem.

Another option:

Fill a grilling wok with lump and lay it on top of the basket. The grilling wok is just acting as a small charcoal basket. Like those little Weber half baskets Susan uses. Proceed as above.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companio ... 330&sr=8-2