Tribeless

Lamb / Mutton

As a Kiwi I'll be cooking more lamb and mutton than probably any other meat type, so I'm starting a thread here for my own notes :) and anyone who wants to post about lamb.

Lamb Shanks

I've had my KK one week now, and have so far just grilled (lamb chops, wild rabbit legs, wild thar patties), so this was my first chance to use the full KK kit setup for indirect cooking.

I cooked on half a fire pit of lump charcoal - can't bring myself to fill the whole thing for every cook - with soaked hickory chips in a small foil tray I made and placed on the coals. Then refracting stone on top of fire pit, lower grill with drip tray, and two lamb shanks plus jacket potatoes cooking on top grill.

I meant to put a little water in the drip tray to keep shanks moist, but forgot, although in the final instance this didn't seem to make a difference.

Making full use of the KK's ability - compared to my old charcoal BBQ - to cook for a long time at low temperatures, I cooked the shanks at an even 150 Celcius for three quarters of an hour without opening lid so as to keep a constant temperature. I only smoked with the initial wood, I intended to put more in at the first lid open, but I couldn't get the lower grills front door opened with the drip tray in ... another time I'll put more wood in with the coals.

At the 3/4 hour stage I then lifted lid periodically to test meat with a meat temperature probe, given lamb is perfect between 140 and 150 degrees Celcius. Took the shanks out when they were 148 Celcius, and let them rest for ten minutes.

The lamb meat was lovely. Really tender, in a way that could never be achieved at the higher temperatures. Ultimately they cooked for one hour and five minutes. The meat also stayed nicely moist, even without water in the drip tray.

The only miscalculation were the jacket potatoes. They were still too firm so had to turn heat up with meat resting, but still took another quarter of an hour. Apparently potatoes need a higher heat, or, next time when cooking meat that will take around an hour, I'll put potatoes in low heat half an hour at least before the meat.

(So far am impressed with everything I've grilled and now cooked in the KK.)

Re: Lamb / Mutton

There is no harm in filling your charcoal basket, when you are finished cooking close the vents and the fire will go out. We have more than one story around here of people who DID NOT fill the basket and had their cook disrupted because they ran out of fuel. Fill the basket. Learn from our mistakes.

What is thar?

Noted about the full firebox ... I think. Even when I dampen right down, the charcoal still keeps burning for a while, just seems a waste. Guess I have to be brave :)

Thar (also spelt Tahr) are Himalayan tahr that were introduced to New Zealand. Like a wild goat, but then, nothing like a wild goat either - good information on this link: http://www.nzhuntinginfo.com/printPage.php?pageName=./game/tahr. They live in the high country here, and New Zealand is now the only country where they can be hunted.

Wow what timing, i was talking to my wife yesterday about buying a lamb for slaughter, post some recipes, rubs, cooking time etc. we both really enjoy cooking lamb and would welcome a few new recipes, not only for the legs,shoulders and chops but also for the trimmings that go in the grinder.

Good one qundoy, keep an eye on this thread and put any techniques up here. I'll put any recipes for lamb/mutton up under the Miscellaneous Meats office, on a new Lamb thread there.

I forgot to say above I was working when cooking the lamb shanks, so had no time for marinades other than trying a store bought mint, rosemary marinade from a bottle: the shanks came up lovely, but I couldn't taste the marinade so no recommendation there.

I'm assuming looking through the forum that lamb is not a big meat in the US?