EGGARY

Rib Eye Steaks

What is the best way to grill steaks on the KK ?

Main or Lower Grill ? On my Big Green Egg XL I would

sear on each side 1 1/2 - 2 minutes at high temp. Take them off and lower temp

and put back to cook to Med. Rare. I used to after searing

I closed vents and let it cook. Then open vents, burp the EGG. Too much smoky taste.

Sorry for ranting.

Just trying to find the best way. Thanks.

Gary

Re: Rib Eye Steaks

Standard sous vide technique would be to vacuum seal the steaks, simmer in a water bath for an hour (We like 136 F, modify to taste), then grill quickly over a hot fire and serve. Once one has tried any approximation of this technique, it is very hard to go back to the other order, sear then dwell.

I use the main grill, some like the intensity of the lower grill. It's a balance with the fire intensity (I've tried 900 F, not recommended!) so there isn't a firm rule.

A local interpretation of this is the "reverse sear". Search the forums, you've got to try it. Adherents swear by it, for much the same reasons. It has the same effect, with a bit less accuracy, but only using your cooker.

One can also play with this style of sous vide with minimal equipment. Vacuum seal or zip lock (if worried about plastic safety, use SousVide-Supreme-Quart-Pouch-Bags) the steak, and stabilize a large pot of water over a small flame, at target temperature.

Standard sous vide technique would be to vacuum seal the steaks, simmer in a water bath for an hour (We like 136 F, modify to taste), then grill quickly over a hot fire and serve. Once one has tried any approximation of this technique, it is very hard to go back to the other order, sear then dwell.

One can also play with this style of sous vide with minimal equipment. Vacuum seal or zip lock (if worried about plastic safety, use SousVide-Supreme-Quart-Pouch-Bags) the steak, and stabilize a large pot of water over a small flame, at target temperature.

I agree with Syzygies.

Steaks = Sous Vide - then HOT grill for 60-90 seconds on each side for the Maillard reaction.

It does not get any better than this. (Perfection every time).

136 is medium rare as long as one doesn't cook too far later. Try 134 first?

An hour is just a rule of thumb I heard somewhere, without a thickness attached. The beauty of the method is one could go two hours, e.g. having "a drink" with the neighbors and not getting back when expected. After too long, the steak will lose some character, but not much.

What happens is the internal temperature of the steak approaches the water bath temperature, in "half lives" like radioactive decay. Suppose that the steak starts out at 72 F in a 136 F water bath (down 64 F), and after ten minutes the steak is 104 F (down 32 F). Then ten minutes is the "half life" of the temperature difference. After twenty minutes the steak will be 120 F (down 16 F). After thirty minutes the steak will be 128 F (down 8 F). After forty minutes the steak will be 132 F (down 4 F). After fifty minutes the steak will be 134 F (down 2 F). Finally, after an hour the steak will be 135 F (down a degree, close enough). If you wait another hour the steak will be very, very close to 136 F, and you hope the wife didn't actually prefer 135 F after all.

I actually have no idea (I made that stuff up), but I've heard an hour works.

From the web:

This works out, great!

45m-4h

rare...............120F/49C

medium rare...134F/56.5C

medium.........140F/60C

medium well...150F 65.5C

Preheat water to your preferred degree of doneness.

Lightly season the steaks with salt and pepper:

Put them each into a small vacuum pouch.

Add garlic and herbs to each pouch.

Submerge the pouches in the water oven.

Cook for at least 45 minutes:

(but up to 4 hours)

When ready to serve:

Add oil to a cast iron skillet over high heat. (smoking)

Remove the steaks from the pouches, pat dry.

Sear in skillet for 30 seconds per side to caramelize the surface:

Serve.

Yes, this also works great searing in a pan, though I prefer fire. I actually sometimes fire up our small Weber for this duty, but using the KK is just as easy. It depends on whether I left the KK "ready to use".

The one point I didn't explain, protein seizes up when it reaches a certain temperature, which depends a bit on the meat but is above the range we're discussing here. Then it takes a long time to tenderize. If it never reaches this "seize up" temperature, time isn't really a factor. The "less than four hours" advice may have as much to do with bacterial danger zones as muddying the taste..

A friend just let me borrow his vac chamber and sous vide equipment. I'm going to see if I can get a round roast to come out tender, these are notoriously tough. One web site said to cook it for three days!! I'll cook it more rare than I like and then smoke it for an hour. Round roast is not a cut I would generally prepare, I'm just playing around w the equipment for fun.

I looked up the vac chamber my friend lent me. MVS31X. It is over two grand!!! And here is a quote from the user manual:

"This machine represents what the modern technology of vacuum-packing may express at its best. It is flexible, easily programmable and cheap."

Uh, right, cheap...

Well, I couldn't get it to work, maybe user error, I don't know. So I used my sub $200.00 FoodSaver. Worked perfect. My round roast is simmering away at 135 at present, using the PolyScience heater. For two days.

A friend just let me borrow his vac chamber and sous vide equipment. I'm going to see if I can get a round roast to come out tender' date=' these are notoriously tough. One web site said to cook it for three days!! I'll cook it more rare than I like and then smoke it for an hour. Round roast is not a cut I would generally prepare, I'm just playing around w the equipment for fun.[/quote']

Doc

I suggest:

128f 10h

131f 24-30h = med

139f 3h = Little on the rare side.

(all will work)

Steaks:

1- I do not brown first.

2- I have cooked up to 30 steaks to different degrees. (rare-med-etc)

3- Left then individually sealed to cool in fridge (till serve time)

4- Open bag and grill (500 plus/cast iron) 1 minute per side.

5 Served all at same time. (perfection at desired preference)

Note:

1- Steaks will be red/pink (totally from side to side) and browned only on outside.

2- I used color codes to keep up with steak orders.

3- Only brown around 1 minute per side. (or grey will start creeping in from edge of meat)

4- Ice chest and hot water will work for Sous Vide.

5 - Ziptop bags and a stray will work for Sous Vide. (temps for meats are low enough as to not be a problem)

Somebody laughed about the zip lock bag and straw trick but I tried it and it works pretty good for freezing stuff for a month or two. Far, far superior to just leaving all the air in a bag. I will certainly try it for sous vide to see how it works in that application.

Somebody laughed about the zip lock bag and straw trick but I tried it and it works pretty good for freezing stuff for a month or two. Far' date=' far superior to just leaving all the air in a bag. I will certainly try it for sous vide to see how it works in that application.[/quote']

Semi freeze before vac you will not have water get in foodsaver.

Only problem with air in SV bag is "it will want to float" Add Marbles.

Just ordered a Vacmaster VP 112 on the recommendation of Cookshack, now I have to figure out where to put the beast! I'm pretty sure it will pay for itself in avoiding wasted, spoiled food. More than a Foodsaver but a lot less than some other chamber sealers. Best price I found was at webstaurantstore.com, better than Amazon. Plus I can use it for sous vide!

I cooked it whole, it was pretty small, about the size of three fists. After 18 hours I pulled it out of the bath and threw it in the fridge. I will probably give it a quick pan sear in butter and then smoke it for a short while. I'm just playing around. If it comes out super awesome I might do it again. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to have that big plastic tub and immersion heater on the counter top for so long. Somehow I have to get that Volkswagen sized vac chamber off the counter and out of the kitchen before my wife gets back from Houston. Maybe the local rental center has a kitchen sized forklift...

fetch?id=67410

Here is the sous vide round roast, I sliced it tonight. It came out as a superb roast beef, very tender and very moist. I would say the cook at 135º F resulted in a nice pink medium or slightly less. It really couldn't be any better. I said I was just playing around, but I will be doing this again!

post-6676-13908240432_thumb.jpg