gofit

Just ordered new KK

Re: Just ordered new KK

Welcome! I have a sister to yours. Mable is a Vibrant Blue tile, not pebble. Where are you, generally, in the states? We promise not to stalk you. :) There is a plethora (I guess cornucopia would be a more foodie term) of KK info on this forum. Most of it is really practical info. Why reinvent the wheel. A good tonic for the "when the heck will it arrive blues" is to ravenously peruse the forum and strike up some KK friendships. Everyone is super helpful. What will your first cook be? Try some salmon on a cedar plank. That is simple, yet will be breathtakingly delicious for a first meal. Just a suggestion...

Congrats on the new KK. You are going to go on a journey from receiving you KK, to taking apart the crate to get your KK to roll off the pallet,etc. There is a learning curve, as I am still learning. You will have your ups and your downs but that is what makes it neat about owning a KK. There is always a next cook on your KK.

Enjoy your new Komodo Kamado ! Patience.

Gary

Canoga Park

I'm in Tulsa, OK. I've already spent some time going through the site. Thinking...hey this isn't rocket science...now I'm thinking...hey maybe this is rocket science! This is definitely not current "fire up the burners" gas grill. but I'm looking forward to the challenge! And some really great food!

Some of us over 50 folks have a bit of an advantage, because we grew up using woodburning or coal burning stoves that were freestanding and used upper and lower drafts to control the heat output- just as the KK does. It is simple physics, and you will quickly learn how to control the upper and lower drafts to maintain a steady heat. You will discover that you can control the temperature to within plus or minus ten degrees, and that the KK will hold that temp for many hours. Sufficient fuel, plus sufficient heat, plus sufficient oxygen equals a happy cook. Also, fill your basket every time you start a cook, even if you have leftover lump from the last cook. Nothing is more frustrating than running out of fuel in mid-cook. BTW- You can cook for over a day, easily, on one basket load of lump, so don't worry about running out of fuel, so long as you fill up the basket at the beginning. Sermon over :D

Congrats on the order! I come through Tulsa quite regularly and will be there next week on Tues and Wed, if you get your KK and want some help uncrating it let me know - I'll be glad to help out. I received mine in October and like you was a little concerned about the learning curve. I already know the "sweet" spots for the main temps that I use, I even cooked a cheesecake on it for Christmas that turned out perfectly. One other thing, if you ever want to share a pallet of coco charcoal let me know - I can either bring boxes to you or pick some up from you when I am in town.

Thanks...really appreciate the offer! I'm wiring my payment today so hopefully I'll get it next week. Might be ambitious to think I'll get it by Wed...but who knows. Sharing a pallet of coco would also be great. I have 5 boxes coming with my KK, have no idea how long that will last. How much charcoal do you go through? And what else do you use with it...wood...other charcoal? I've been using a gas grill forever so I expect a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully I won't burn the house down!

The KK is very efficient, if I am doing low and slow cooks the charcoal lasts quite a while. I mainly use Royal Oak lump charcoal and will add chunks for smoking flavor - I like cherry and apple best but have tried Dennis' coffee wood and it gives a great flavor to a ribeye roast. I would estimate that I have gone through 6 - 10lb bags of Royal Oak, 1 -20 lb bag of BB lump, 5 - 8lb bags of Frontier (I won't ever use this again), and 4 boxes of coco charcoal. I have used gas forever, I have a metal smoker that I used when I lived in a more rural area that is in storage now - giving it to my brother in law as I don't have a use for it. I have never used any charcoal in the KK, lump is all wood with no fillers. My favorite place to buy meat is Natural Farms at 420 S Utica in Tulsa, they carry a breed of cattle called Piedmontese. I have also heard of a place called Herbert's Specialty Meats in Tulsa, I plan on going there next week and picking up a couple of cajun, boneless stuffed chickens. If you don't have your KK yet but would like to get together to discuss it I would be happy to meet you somewhere.

We have use Herbert's several times. Great place. I've not been to natural farms but I will check it out. I think I'm going to start out with some lump from Hasty Bake, looks like they have got some pretty good reviews. I'm still waiting on my confirmation for my order. Hopefully my wire transfer will be posted on their end today. Receiving this week is probably out...but maybe early next week!

You CAN cook with wood in your KK but most of us would tell you not to. You can use little amounts of wood for the smoke. Just use lump as your main fuel, it works perfect. Some folks here use briquettes also. Probably you already know this, but don't use starter fluid. Use any other method of starting your lump.

Thanks. Dennis tells me it is shipping today! So Friday could be the day! Going with the Vibrant Blue was tough call. My wife calls it a Faberge Egg! Not looking forward to uncrating it. Has anyone ever dropped one of these? I will definately be using lump charcoal and KK's coconut. And (cpwebb) I do want to split a pallet of coconut with you. I just don't know when I will need it yet...probably be sooner than I think! I'm sure I have a big learning curve coming up. I suspect it will be looking like Barbecue Pitmasters in my backyard starting this weekend!

The learning curve is not bad if you will take good time orientated notes. You will get better fast. Its all in the two dampers.If you over shoot shut everything down and re-start. Go for 20 Deg under then bump up. It is easy going up rough to come down. KK does not want to give up the heat set in its walls.

The method simple. (You will be doing heat control like your ancestors did it) Just keep the faith and you will be fine.

And don't forget we all like to help.

Welcome to the group. Looking forward to some new ideas.

Thanks everyone! I have my first official question. What is recommended for a meat temp probe? And should I get a BBQ guru? And if I get the guru which model? Does that seem like 3 official questions? I'm afraid I may gain 20 pounds after I get started!

Definitely get an Instant Read Thermometer. The one that is most popular is the Thermopen. Depending on your experience with Low and Slow cooking, why not get used to your new KK. The KK is very good at retaining heat.

You may want to get a Remote Thermometer. That is one of my favorite tools.

As to gaining weight, just watch yourself. It should be no different before the KK.

Enjoy the journey.

You will get mixed replies on the Guru question (or Stoker). I have good uses for them but most of my cooks are without. Peruse the forum, you will see the various schools of thought.

A remote thermometer is another story, I would say it is almost a necessity. It prevents you from constantly opening and closing the lid to check. I like the Oregon Scientific AW-131 because it has good range and good penetration in to the house, and has lasted longer than any Maverick product. The Maverick products are hit or miss on their QC. Their latest product, which several of us really wanted to love, was a POS. The ET 732. It got some good hype and glowing youtube reports, but our results here were awful. Maybe they have fixed the bugs on it by now, do an internet search and find out. And please report back to us what you find out!