LarryR

What's everyone cooking this weekend (5/19/12)?

After battling pneumonia for almost three weeks I'm ready to get in front of the KK. Will be a beautiful day here in Central Cali so we invited some good friends over for a Standing Rib cook. Roast is about 6.25 lbs (3 bone). Using a mixture of Frontier Lump and Rancher Hardwood Briquettes (some of you may know this as Trader Joe's Hardwood Briquettes), red wine oak cask staves for a little smoke. Will cook at 270 - 275 to med. rare (120 - 122). No sear reverse or front. On these cooks I'll typically let Hestia soak for about an hour; more time for me to enjoy a few adult beverages with my #2 gal and personally on the lower temp cooks I feel I get a better final product if she's nice and warmed up . . . Also doing grilled mixed veggies - red pepper, green and yellow squash, a portabella, red onion; I marinade in a handful of seasonings, red wine, dash of Worcestershire, dash of soy and some olive oil. Once done I'll drizzle a little balsamic over the veggies, always a hit.

I've been wanting to shoot some videos of KK cooks so hopefully my 10 yo son will hang around long enough today to be my videographer. Want to shoot setup, lighting, bringing to temp., meat on/off and slicing. Doubt he'll be around for the entire thing unless I bribe him.

So, what are YOU cooking this weekend? I see we have a few new owners, what's on your KK this weekend?

Re: What's everyone cooking this weekend (5/19/12)? Did the ribs shown below yesterday and blew myself away!! Ribs have not ever been part of my repertoire but since I got the KK three years ago, I've wanted to be able to do them. I've tried about 10 times and every single time they came out tough, hard and dry. So I tried something drastically different this time and they came out beautifully - beyond my wildest expectations. I had two half racks, each about three pounds. I did not do any trimming except to remove the membrane on the back. The technique was to apply rub in the early AM, cook 2 1/2 hours on the main grill at 275 Tel Tru, indirect. Then wrap in foil with honey, brown sugar and apple juice and place back on the grill for 1 hour. Remove from foil and back on the grill about 15 min while I got my BBQ sauce ready. Then I started basting and turning them over, probably for another half hour. In my previous attempts, I cooked them at a lower temp but for a much longer period of time since my research led me to believe spare ribs needed to cook for a minimum of 5 hours and maybe up to 7. So I never even opened the lid to check on them much before 5 hours. These were so juicy and tender all over - the skirt, tips and center sections - I couldn't believe it. I went from a 3 to a 10 in one cook. My husband can't wait for me to make them again!!! fetch?id=67223

post-6735-139082400963_thumb.jpg

Re: What's everyone cooking this weekend (5/19/12)?

Great looking ribs! Believe it or not I was able to get the video I wanted. Now I've got to find an iPad app to combine the ten clips I shot. Any recommendations? Roast turned out perfect.

Did the ribs shown below yesterday and blew myself away!! Ribs have not ever been part of my repertoire but since I got the KK three years ago' date=' I've wanted to be able to do them. I've tried about 10 times and every single time they came out tough, hard and dry. So I tried something drastically different this time and they came out beautifully - beyond my wildest expectations. I had two half racks, each about three pounds. I did not do any trimming except to remove the membrane on the back. The technique was to apply rub in the early AM, cook 2 1/2 hours on the main grill at 275 Tel Tru, indirect. Then wrap in foil with honey, brown sugar and apple juice and place back on the grill for 1 hour. Remove from foil and back on the grill about 15 min while I got my BBQ sauce ready. Then I started basting and turning them over, probably for another half hour. In my previous attempts, I cooked them at a lower temp but for a much longer period of time since my research led me to believe spare ribs needed to cook for a minimum of 5 hours and maybe up to 7. So I never even opened the lid to check on them much before 5 hours. These were so juicy and tender all over - the skirt, tips and center sections - I couldn't believe it. I went from a 3 to a 10 in one cook. My husband can't wait for me to make them again!!![/quote']

Your Ribs look really good and tasty. Were they fall of the bone or did they have some "chew" when you took a bite ?

One thing I have learned and seem to forget, do not cook by time but either by inner-temp or in the case of Ribs the "bend" test. Thank you for sharing your process. I will definitely will do foiling of the ribs and see what happens.

Eggary:

They were not soft and did not fall off the bone. But when you lifted the bone and bit into the rib and pulled away with your teeth, the meat just came cleanly off the bone, nice and tender, with lots of juices - ending up all over our faces and hands - definitely a multipe napkin ordeal for each rib!!! The way I found this technique was to watch a bunch of youtube videos on all kinds of grills because I spent a lot of time doing research on cooking ribs on ceramic grills on all my prior rib cooks and those results were lousy. The guy that got my attention the most was a fellow preparing a huge amount of ribs - like 125 racks. He obviously was a professional and was cooking on a big rig and was prepared to individually foil 125 racks for his event. He said the first stage of the cook would take between 2 and 3 hours at 250 deg and that the way to tell when to move to the second stage, which is foil, is to just look at them and see their color and how they're cooking. I thought this advice was meaningless, not offering me any standard, but I made the decision to cook them at 275 Tru Tel, which is probably around 250 main grate, at least for the early part of the cook, for 2 1/2 hours since I Ithought my ribs were on the larger size and I didn't trim them (on my prior cooks trimming the ribs made no difference - they were not good regardless). So I put them on when my grill was about 200 deg and then didn't touch it for 2 1/2 hours after my Tru Tell reached 275. When I opened the KK, I was astounded - they looked fantastic - browning beautifully and plump as can be with little bubbles of juices forming and dripping on the surface. I knew it was ready - just like he said - you'll know. This was a revelation. So I moved on to the foil stage for 1 hour and then the basting and turning. Can you tell I'm excited about this rib cook??? Next time, the only change I will make is to get them a little more charred on the final stage of the cook of basting and turning. I was afraid on this cook that any minute the ribs would turn hard and dry and tough like my prior cooks so I wanted to get them off as soon as reasonably possible while they were still so succulent, which you could tell by just probing them with a fork.

So you did a variant of the 3:2:1 ribs. I have not tried it yet, just done straight 4 hours at 250. But since I'm such a huge fan of foiling brisket and the result you get from that, it stands to reason it would work on ribs. Yours look great and I love that enthusiasm!

Video is edited, uploaded to YouTube and I've fired off the link to Dennis to look at and give his blessing. I said something early in the video that I just want to make sure Dennis is comfortable with, nothing regarding the cooker, how I presented something. Anyway I think Dennis will be cool with it and I'll post the public links (2 10 minute videos).

For any folks not familiar with the 3:2:1 method, here is one description:

http://tipsforbbq.com/Definition/3-2-1-Method

There are a multitude of other websites expounding upon and explaining it. Strictly adhering to exact times is probably not necessary, it is the overall concept of cooking in the smoke for a while, then foiling with or without liquid for a while, and then back on the grill sans foil, with or without sauces or glazes. I may do it for a birthday party on Saturday.

I've done 3-2-1 several times but I've moved away as I prefer my ribs come off the bone cleanly with a gentle tug vs. fall off the bone (if you're looking for fall off the bone 3-2-1 is they way to go), just my personal taste. My rib method on the KK is put them on around 250 degrees, come back in 6 hours and I check them. If not done leave them on another 30 to 60 minutes. Remove, sauce some, some I dredge in 1:1 water and vinegar (Thanks Chris Lilly) and dust with more rub, cut and serve. Perfect every time. KK makes it way to easy.

My ribs were definitely a variant of that but less time at each stage, including only one hour in the foil. They still had chew. I also meant to mention in my prior post that this was my first cook since I replaced my gasket where I could really tell how it was working since I had a couple of cherry chunks in with the ribs. All the smoke was coming out the top with no smoke leakage whatsoever!!! Didn't you recently replace your gasket, Doc? How is it working?

Susan