The "Stall"

Re: The "Stall"

That was very helpful. I never read that in all the research I've done trying to learn what the "stall" was, and what caused it. I've probably read articles from 10 different authors on the subject, who I thought were "experts" in the field. Wow, that really enlightened me, thank you.

The stall is caused by the moisture leaving the meat, much like how our bodies cool themselves, persperation evaporates off the skin and cools our body, same thing happens when cooking. The foil prevents the evaporation so you dont have the stall.

In my original post, i stated that I understand that the stall is caused by moisture evaporating while cooking. I assumed that that meant It was obvious that I knew that foiling would eliminate said stall. Thats what I get for assuming.

I am not foiling, the cook is happening at 225 deg F, coco char coals, wi fi guru controller, indirect heat via the stone that came with the kk, pork on upper grate, in a shallow pan.

Please know I have read plenty of writings on the subject, I am looking for insight from experienced kk cookers!

Thanks for any help!

I have no idea from your last description. except.....

Try not using the pan.

(that seems to be a second heat deflector)

Whatever you do ... please don't stop till you find the answer.

Could cooking in a pan be equal to foil???

Good problem catch 5698k.

Who cares if there is a stall or not? Just cook it til its done and enjoy it!

+1.

I took my step-daughter to Build-A-Bear once during the holidays, and at checkout a sales assistant came over to up-sell us, boldly proclaiming that our bear wasn't wearing any underwear. The child was fine with "It's a bear!" and I was fine not offering any of my potential replies in the child's presence.

Name something, and people think it's a bad thing. I always imagined that the dwell was actually a good thing, holding the temperature down while the collagens and such melted down. And we don't like the mushy effect of using foil...

Who cares if there is a stall or not? Just cook it til its done and enjoy it!

"Fat can only be rendered in a dry cooking environment over a long period of time and at low temperatures.

Here is what happens . . . the meat must attain a temperature of 160½ - 170½ to start the fat rendering process.

At these temps, the meat temperature will 'plateau' . . . that is, it will stay at these temps for up to 2 hours on ribs and 4 and 5 hours on butts and briskets.

What is happening is, the collagen (connective tissue) starts to break down . . . this process releases water, which in turn causes a cooling of the meat. So the temps stay steady. This collagen breakdown is what makes meat so tender."

And that is why I care. Wonderful controlled extended charcoal cooking.

The smartest people I know always have the philosophy of "keep it simple stupid"! Me being the stupid one here. Thanks Doc!

Stupid is as stupid does.

You were smart enough to find the question. I suggest you follow through and find the answer.

Some day in your cooking you may need that magic bullet.

That is cooking and paying attention to results.

If you decide to follow through please post your findings.