DennisLinkletter

KK~ How to install your roti motor video

Here is a simple video that shows how to install the roti motor..

We had two companies making the roti components because the better company was often fully booked and could not take the order.. Mistake.. we're learning lots.. one problem was that the sample motor we were using had a larger than standard socket.. Go figure.

Re: KK~ How to install your roti motor video

I just received my KK and rotisserie(s). Problem: the shaft with the spring was oversized and would not fit into the socket of the OneGrill 50# motor. It needed very much filing and dremel tool grinding to get it to fit the socket.

VERY frustrating. Also the shaft with the spring is too long making it impossible to connect the motor while the bracket is bolted in place. The l;ower bolt is also impossible to get the allen wrench on because it is situated behind the slider plate and the distance doesn't allow the wrench to engage. By the way another frustrating episode is that the German made allen wrench did not have enough under size to fit the bolts. With some bolts the allen wrench would not fit into the bolts and others it was too snug and was then difficult to remove. Surely qwe could order the rotisserie with the motor from KK, rather than buy separately. That way everything could be trial fit and work together.

The rotisserie caused me, a new KK owner, more frustration than anything else.

Don't get me wrong, the KK is the best Kamado period. I'm an engineer and we are picky about what we buy, but the rotisserie, motor, shafts, and mount is something that can be imporved, IMHO. :roll:

I just received my KK and rotisserie(s). Problem: the shaft with the spring was oversized and would not fit into the socket of the OneGrill 50# motor. It needed very much filing and dremel tool grinding to get it to fit the socket. VERY frustrating.

Joe at one grill changed to a new motor that seems to have a tad bit smaller socket and some reports of a motor with a shallow socket. I understand your frustration but only know about things like this when I get feedback.

Also the shaft with the spring is too long making it impossible to connect the motor while the bracket is bolted in place.

As you saw in the video, with the original motor.. it works well.

The lower bolt is also impossible to get the allen wrench on because it is situated behind the slider plate and the distance doesn't allow the wrench to engage.

This of course is not how the motor was designed to be installed.

By the way another frustrating episode is that the German made allen wrench did not have enough under size to fit the bolts. With some bolts the allen wrench would not fit into the bolts and others it was too snug and was then difficult to remove.

This is the first I've heard about the key being a tight fit, I will look into this. The female threaded sleeves are a new to the KK's they used to have a bolt sticking out of the grill instead. We have also had issues with the tubes threads getting messed up when the tubes are cut to length. The bolts were put in without cleaning the threads properly with a tap.

Surely we could order the rotisserie with the motor from KK' date=' rather than buy separately. That way everything could be trial fit and work together.[/quote']

Shirley no longer works at Komodo :lol:

The problem here is that no Chinese company will sell smaller volumes of motors, then there would be a 30-40% import cost to get them into Indonesia.. And buying them Stateside from Joe and sending them to the warehouse would result in in-out warehouse charges and I still would not see them. I need to make sure Joe tells us exactly what the drive's specification is.. He has said that they are all the same but we now have samples of two very different ones in the factory,

The rotisserie caused me, a new KK owner, more frustration than anything else.

Don't get me wrong, the KK is the best Kamado period. I'm an engineer and we are picky about what we buy, but the rotisserie, motor, shafts, and mount is something that can be imporved, IMHO. :roll:

I'm sorry about the frustration caused by these parts.. It's been a hotly discussed component in the factory.. We also had two different machine shops/suppliers which had slightly different taps that caused issues. We are now definitely aware of the problems and are redesigning the entire roti system to improve it's ease of use.. I will contact you and make up a shaft that fit your motor..

Hi Dennis,

Merry Christmas! Now that I have some time off, it BBQ and Grilling time!

The replacement shaft sent a while ago still doesn't fit the rotisserie motor. It's too long. I guess I'll have to hacksaw a portion off to get it to work right. I know you don't want to hear my solution one more time because it isn't the most economical option but it does solve the problem.

The upgraded rotisserie clamps are great.

I just tried making pizza yesterday and the KK excels at this. One can't go wrong. I also read the FireMonkey method of doing jerky so I had to go get some sirloin and some ground wire. The jerky is on now but I am struggling to get up to 175°F. I hope I can load the coco charcoal when the time comes to stoke the KK. FM method is ingeneously clever. Hats off to him. I hope my jerky turns out as good as his did.

Thanks for a wonderful cooker and have a prosperous new year.

Jim :smt114

Hi Dennis,

Merry Christmas! Now that I have some time off, it BBQ and Grilling time!

The replacement shaft sent a while ago still doesn't fit the rotisserie motor. It's too long. I guess I'll have to hacksaw a portion off to get it to work right. I know you don't want to hear my solution one more time because it isn't the most economical option but it does solve the problem.

Thanks for a wonderful cooker and have a prosperous new year.

Jim :smt114

Heylo Jim,

Merry happy to you and yours..

Argh and double argh.. Yes trying to match shafts with at least three different motors has been the cause of more frustration than you could ever imagine.

I believe I have found a different solution than yours to send the motors to Indonesia to be matched up first..

I've sent all the shafts to Joe at one grill and he'll match them up before they go out. He said that the motor manufacturer is unable to always source the same sockets so they use what they can get. With traditional rotisseries it does not affect how they work.. It of course messes up our KK's system.

Sawing thru 304 stainless is a biatch.. for this I apologise..

Dennis YouTube video on rotisserie installation has been removed. Could some one direct me to a video on this subject? I have purchased the one grill s. Steel 50 lb model, ran fine for several minutes but then the shaft stopped turning as the motor kept running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/3/2016 at 9:50 AM, Boz said:

Dennis YouTube video on rotisserie installation has been removed. Could some one direct me to a video on this subject? I have purchased the one grill s. Steel 50 lb model, ran fine for several minutes but then the shaft stopped turning as the motor kept running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bump,,, a video showing how the thing is setup would be nice :-)